Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Dieseruvwe’s Double Downs Gateshead

12 August 2023

Match Reports

Match Report: Dieseruvwe’s Double Downs Gateshead

12 August 2023

Mani Dieseruvwe’s double gave Pools a 2-1 win over north-east neighbours Gateshead. Two strikes on his official debut means Pools have their first win of the season, with Josh Umerah’s red card a blot on the copybook.

Both sides started the game strongly, with Hunter’s far-post cross almost finding Dinanga in the fifth minute. However, it was Askey’s side that got the opener. Great work down the right and a pinpoint cross from Seaman found Dieseruvwe in the centre, and the forward slid home his first of the season.

After the goal, Gateshead saw a Hannant cross blocked and cleared, before Storey’s header deflected behind. Wearne managed to get in behind in the 18th minute, but Onariase made a fantastic block.

Wearne continued to be a threat down the left, but Seaman kept him marshalled with a couple of well-timed tackles. Gateshead saw plenty of the ball in the rest of the first half, mainly limited to Richardson and Storey making sideways passes on the halfway line thanks to pressing from Umerah and Dieseruvwe.

On 42 minutes, Gateshead had their first shot on target as Ed Francis found space at the edge of the box. The shot trickled on target, but Dixon was equal to it and Pools were able to clear.

In the second half, Pools got on the ball more, with Ferguson’s cross parried by Mair and Umerah’s header off target. Mancini had a good chance in the 52nd minute, but the centre-half covered well to block.

A big chance for Dieseruvwe followed, with the ‘keeper saving well after the forward connected with Ferguson’s cross. Seconds later, Pools were down to 10 men. Umerah slid into Tinkler, and the referee brandished a red card for the forward.

Ferguson and Cooke both picked up yellow cards in the next ten minutes, both for off-the-ball transgressions. In the 66th minute, Gateshead got the equaliser. A corner found its way through to Dinanga, and despite appearing offside, his rebounded shot fell to Tinkler to smash home.

After the equaliser, both sides struggled to create any chances of note, with Wearne dragging a shot wide and Ferguson seeing a good cross blocked. With discipline waning, Richardson went into the book for the hosts before another caution was shown to a member of the Pools bench.

Chadwick had a go from distance, but Dixon saved comfortably. At the other end, Mancini worked the ball well, but his shot narrowly avoiding the near post.

Then, with the clock ticking past 90 minutes, Pools had their second. Dieseruvwe broke forwards down the right, and found the pass to reach Cooke. The attacker beat Tinkler out wide and laid it on a platter for the forward to get his second.

Despite Gateshead trying to get bodies forward, the win was confirmed by the referee’s whistle and Pools are up and running.

Pools XI: Dixon; Seaman, Dodds, Onariase, Lacey, Ferguson; Crawford, Cooke, Mancini; Umerah, Dieseruvwe

Subs: Jameson, Burton, Paterson, Hastie, Wreh

Booked: Ferguson, Cooke

Sent Off: Umerah (56)

Attendance: 5,018 (412 Away)

Advertisement block