Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match report: Pools come from behind twice to take a point at Boreham Wood

5 April 2021

Match Reports

Match report: Pools come from behind twice to take a point at Boreham Wood

5 April 2021

An eventful start at Meadow Lane saw the first real chance fall to Rhys Oates. A ball over the top was met on the half volley by the forward and it whipped just past the far post.

The opening goal came from the hosts just after five minutes. A ball forward landed at the feet of Marsh and he was able to finish inside the box to put The Wood one goal ahead.

Pools answered with an instant reply. Sterry down the right-hand side whipped the ball across and the man in-form Gavan Holohan equalised for Pools.

After 15 minutes a strong collision between Ben Killip, Tshimanga and Odusina saw the two Pools men left down injured. After a long stoppage, both men were okay to carry on.

24 minutes gone and Pools were inches away from a second. Armstrong this time whipped the ball across and Holohan stretching had an open goal, but his effort was over.

Pools were made to rue their missed chances as just one minute later, the ball broke for Whitely down the left-hand side and his quick effort beat Killip at his front post to put the hosts back in the lead.

36 minutes gone and Pools were forced into a change with the earlier injury to Killip forcing him to exit the field. The Goalkeeper was replaced by Richie Bennet with Rhys Oates putting on the number one shirt and going between the sticks. With an outfield player now in goal, Pools were able to see out the rest of the first half at 2-1.

Pools started the second half the stronger side. Ferguson seeing plenty of the ball had a free-kick opportunity after 60 minutes that was straight into the arms of Ashmore.

On 77 minutes Pools had their second! Cass with the ball on the right hand side, delivered to the backpost and new signing Richie Bennett was there waiting with a bullet header to find the equaliser for Dave Challinor's men.

The last 13 minutes was all Pools attacking possession. On 83 minutes, a huge penalty shout as it looked like Molyneux was cleaned out in the box was waved away by the referee.

Three minutes later, Ashmore pulled off a wonder save to deny Armstrong from close range as Pools looked like the only team searching for a winner.

The game ended 2-2 with Pools playing over 50 minutes with Rhys Oates in goal and coming from behind twice to rescue a point. Dave Challinor's men play Notts County live on BT Sport this Saturday.

XI: Killip (35' Bennett); Ferguson, Odusina, Liddle, Cass, Sterry; Featherstone, Shelton (70' Molyneux), Holohan; Armstrong, Oates

Advertisement block