Youth Team Beaten By Guiseley

Jay Gibson, Hartlepool United

Pools Youth Team slipped to a disappointing home defeat on Wednesday afternoon as Guiseley took all three points away from the NLFA contest in Blackhall.

Ian McGuckin’s side were leading in the game thanks to Jay Gibson’s early goal but the visitors battled their way back in to it and were level at the break before snatching a winner midway through the second half.

Pools started the game on the front foot and began probing at the Guiseley defence in the early stages, looking to find a way through for the opening goal.

The breakthrough arrived on 16 minutes when some slick football on the edge of the area freed Gibson, who drove through on goal and slipped it past the keeper neatly to make it 1-0.

That should have been the cue for Pools to go and take the game by the scruff of the neck but instead it was the visitors who grew in confidence during a competitive encounter.

The equaliser came after some good work down the right hand side of the penalty area and, when the ball was delivered back across goal, Rafael Ferreira nodded home from close range.

Aaron Willoughby almost restored Pools’ lead in spectacular fashion before half-time when he let fly with a drive from thirty yards but it cannoned back off the bar with the keeper beaten.

The game was becoming more of a battle as time wore on with tackles more plentiful than clear-cut chances though Guiseley did stab wide from a decent opening not long in to the second half.

The decisive goal arrived on 68 minutes when Pools only partially cleared a ball across goal and when it was flung back in to the area it was met by Haroon Bostan whose header found the bottom corner.

Pools pressed to try and find a leveller in the closing stages and there was a big chance for substitute Joe Grey who shot straight at the keeper, while Aaron Webster wriggled through to fire on goal right at the death only to also be denied by the Guiseley shot-stopper.

“We’re obviously disappointed,” said McGuckin.

“I thought it was quite evenly fought in terms of possession and neither side really carved out that many blatant chances.

“Fair play to Guiseley, they ground it out. I thought we were winning the battle in the second half but once again we’ve conceded a goal and that left us with too much to do.”

Full Time: Pools 1 Guiseley 2

Pools: Lowerson, James, Naisbett, Pilling, Webster, Campbell, Sturdy, Shepherd, Willoughby, Chapman (Grey 64), Gibson.
Subs not used: Thompson, Wilson.