Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Pools return to winning ways on the road

23 September 2023

Match Reports

Match Report: Pools return to winning ways on the road

23 September 2023

An own goal in the first half helped Hartlepool to their first win in four. Pools also ended their 28-game streak without a clean sheet, which dates back to seven months.

There were two changes in the starting line-up for Pools following Tuesday night’s draw in Altrincham. Alex Lacey returned in place of Kieran Burton at the back, while Tom Crawford’s suspension allowed Joe Grey to come in. 

Both sides had half-chances in the opening stages. Pete Jameson was called into action at his front post, while Josh Umerah unleashed a strike over at the other end. 

On 24 minutes, Dagenham had a great opportunity but Sydney Ibie’s shot was blocked by Charlie Seaman at point-blank range before the rebound flew over. 

The decisive goal arrived on 29 minutes for Pools. Oliver Finney was set down the left-hand side of the box and his cross was turned in by Dagenham defender Sam Ling.

Moments later, Dagenham's nearly secured a leveller but Ibie's header at the back post was met with a sprawling save from Jameson.

Umerah nearly got on the scoresheet before half-time for the visitors. Mani Dieseruvwe released his strike partner, but a flying save from Elliot Justham prevented a second.

Chances were limited at the start of the second half, though that quickly changed after the hour. Joe Grey picked out Finney inside the Dagenham box but the midfielder slammed his effort over the bar.

Pools were up against it in the second period. Kieran Wallace, Luke Hendrie and Alex Lacey were all forced off with injuries as Dagenham pressed for an equaliser.

Ryan Hill came close after cutting inside from the right flank, but the Dagenham number 10 curled his strike off target.

At the other end, Grey forced Jake Hessenthaler into a sliding block after the forward was played through by Charlie Seaman at a tight angle.

With the end in sight, Dagenham through bodies forward. Hill had a prime opportunity to level the scorings but his first-time volley flew wide. Ling also had two chances to redeem himself, with two headers missing the mark.

After nine minutes of added time, Pools could finally celebrate as John Askey's side secured the three points. Attention now turns to Tuesday night, where Hartlepool welcome Solihull Moors to the Suit Direct Stadium.

Pools: Jameson, Seaman, Lacey (Aghatise 90+5), Onariase, Hendrie (Burton 90+1), Ferguson, Wallace (Dolan 60), Finney, Grey, Umerah, Dieseruvwe 

Subs (not used): Dixon, Wreh

Goals: Ling (own goal, 29)

Advertisement block