Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Hartlepool lose out to quickfire double

21 October 2023

Aldershot claimed a 2-1 win over Pools with two goals inside a minute. John Askey’s side had initially took the lead through Mani Dieseruvwe.

Askey named one change to his starting 11 from the team that were downed to Chester last weekend. Middlesbrough youngster Terrell Agyemang came in for his first start in senior football, replacing Josh Umerah. 
Shots, managed by former Hartlepool midfielder Tommy Widdrington, put Pools under the cosh in the first half. The hosts could’ve went ahead after Ryan Glover’s cross was converted on five minutes, but the lineman’s flag was up. 
Aldershot created a string of chances around the 25 minute mark. First, Jack Barham sent a header wide after meeting Ollie Harfield’s ball at close-range. 
Josh Stokes then drove an effort wide via a deflection, while Tommy Willard was denied low by Pete Jameson in the Hartlepool goal. 
Pools were dealt a blow on the half-hour when Zak Johnson was forced off injured, with the defender replaced by Matty Dolan. Despite the early change, Hartlepool carved out their first opening with Dieseruvwe drilling a low shot into the home goalkeeper from range. 
At the other end, Lorent Tolaj broke forward for Shots and squared into Stokes, who smashed his shot over the Hartlepool goal. 
Agyemang forced Shots keeper Jordi Van Stappershoef into a fingertip save on 38 minutes. The midfielder stabbed an effort goal-bound from David Ferguson’s cross, which took a wicked deflection in the process. 
There two big chances for Aldershot before the break. Aaron Jones’ 30-yard strike was clawed away by Jameson, moments before Stokes sent a menacing ball across the face of goal with nobody able to convert. 
Tolaj put Jameson to the test after half-time, but the shot-stopper again kept Askey’s side in it with a low parry. 
Pools pushed their way forward as Joe Grey played Luke Hendrie with 57 on the clock, however Van Stappershoef was on hand to turn the chance behind for a corner. 
That ball was sent into the front post by Nicky Featherstone, and Dieseruvwe was there with an acrobatic effort to break the deadlock for the visitors. 
Tom Crawford and Grey had chances to double the advantage but both fired off target. Grey also inspired a counter-attacking move but the forward’s shot was saved by the feet of Van Stappershoef. 
Aldershot’s equaliser came on 80 minutes as Harfield sent a ball into the danger zone, and Kwame Thomas was there to dispatch from close-range for the hosts. 
Straight from kick-off, Shots pressed and took the lead as Stokes capitalised on a mistake and coolly finished past Jameson. 
There were chances at both ends in injury time. Tyler Frost countered for Aldershot but failed to make it three, while Agyemang stung a low effort into the keeper from range. 
Pools now turn their attention to Tuesday night, with another game on the road. Askey’s side make the midweek journey to Halifax Town. 
Pools XI: Jameson, Ferguson, Johnson (Dolan 28), Onariase (Seaman 87), Lacey, Hendrie, Featherstone, Agyemang, Crawford, Grey (Umerah 82), Dieseruvwe 
Subs (not used): Dixon, Paterson
Goals: Dieseruvwe (58)
Aldershot goals: Thomas (80), Stokes (81)

Advertisement block