Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Pools held to a point in Kidderminster

21 November 2023

Match Reports

Match Report: Pools held to a point in Kidderminster

21 November 2023

Hartlepool United emerged with a point after drawing 1-1 in their visit to bottom club Kidderminster Harriers.

Hartlepool made the perfect start when Reiss McNally turned a cross into his own net from Tom Crawford, on his 100th Pools appearance - only for Amari Morgan-Smith to head the hosts level.

John Askey’s side dominated the second half with some tremendous football but could not turn dominance into goals.

The Pools boss sent out an unchanged XI from the team which won 3-1 at York City. And his side looked confident from the first sound of referee Jamie O’Connor’s whistle.

And, just like Saturday at York, they were ahead in the seventh minute, when receiving a helping hand from the Harriers.

Pools moved possession nicely and when Crawford played the perfect low ball across the box, McNally inadvertently put it past his own keeper.

But Harriers had a chance on 18 minutes when they conceded a needless free-kick which Jack Lambert swung in, only for McNally to head over the bar.

Pools almost doubled their lead on 24 minutes when Crawford’s audacious lob rebounded off the goalie's right stick with keeper Christian Dibble beaten.

Kidderminster were level in the 31st minute. Joel Dixon conceded a corner from a low Lambert strike and from the set-piece, Morgan-Smith headed into the back of the net.

The Pools keeper was strong on 37 minutes when he made a good save at his near post to deny Ryan McLean after he was cleverly played in by Lambert.

Pools came close to regaining the lead three minutes into the second period, but Crawford headed wide from 12 yards.

Askey’s team then had two openings inside two minutes.

First, a wonderful passing move led to a gilt-edged opportunity for Mani Dieseruvwe, but he went wide from Brody Paterson’s inviting cross.

And soon after, Jake Hastie was thwarted by a flying save with the Scot’s 20-yard screamer looking destined for the top left corner.

Having gone close, Pools almost conceded in the 56th minute when Harriers broke, but Dixon came to Pools rescue with a great save from Ashley Hemmings.

That aside, Pools were playing some nice stuff and Nicky Featherstone fired over after another super passing move and Hastie was millimetres wide with his left peg.

Dieseruvwe’s 72nd-minute header brought a good save from Dibble and a brave defensive block kept out the top scorer soon after.

Callum Cooke saw a shot from outside the area beaten out by Dibble, while the resulting Featherstone corner almost brought a goal with Hastie clipping the crossbar.

Ultimately, Pools couldn't force a deserved winner as the referee called time on proceedings at Aggborough.

Pools: Dixon, Johnson, Onariase, Mattock, Hastie, Featherstone, Wallace, Paterson (Ferguson 63), Crawford (Grey 89), Cooke, Dieseruvwe

Subs (not used): Jameson, Hancox, Umerah

Goal: McNally (own goal, 7)

Kidderminster goal: Morgan-Smith (31)

Attendance: 2163 (132 away)

Advertisement block