Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Pools Sweep Fylde Aside

26 August 2023

Match Reports

Match Report: Pools Sweep Fylde Aside

26 August 2023

Hartlepool United made it four wins in a row for the first time since 2021 as they overcame AFC Fylde 3-1. A Mani Dieseruvwe double and a well-taken goal from Callum Cooke saw Pools claim their fourth win in five National League games.

The first shot on target went Fylde’s way, but Omotayo’s strike was held by Dixon. Pools’ first shot on target wasn’t far behind, though, with Seaman’s low shot straight into Richardson’s midriff.

Minutes later, Richardson fingertips prevented Cooke’s cross-shot finding the back of the net. In the 23rd minute, a mazy run from Dan Dodds almost gave Pools the lead, but his shot was charged down.

However, Pools weren’t to be denied for long. Cooke found Ferguson in space on the left, and his pinpoint cross was met by Dieseruvwe to head beyond Richardson. After the goal, Pools continued to play with freedom, with Mancini and Cooke seeing plenty of the ball.

In the 33rd minute, Pools doubled their lead. Wreh held the ball up well and found Cooke, and the midfielder curled the ball beyond Richardson. With Pools in the ascendancy, Crawford saw a shot saved after good work from Dieseruvwe and Wreh.

Minutes later, Mancini’s deft flick beyond the ‘keeper was goal bound but for Obi’s last-ditch clearance. Pools continued to attack as Dieseruvwe slid the ball into Cooke who then released Mancini, but the Frenchman’s shot was straight at the keeper and Fylde were able to clear.

In the first minute of added time, Fylde pulled a goal back. Some slack defending allowed Omotayo to find space in the box and he sent his shot past Dixon.

The second half started with few chances, though Omotayo had a good effort well blocked by Dodds after a driven corner. Once Pools clicked into gear, they found a third. Good interplay saw Ferguson in space out wide, and his cross was taken well by Dieseruvwe to slide it beyond Richardson.

A minute later, it could have been four. Cooke broke away down the right, and his cross was headed over by Grey. The substitute almost got Dieseruvwe in for his hat trick, but Obi did well to make the block.

Mancini had a sight of goal in the 65th minute, but the shot didn’t have enough curl and Richardson was untroubled. Seaman and Mancini continued to see plenty of the ball, with the latter replaced by Kieran Wallace with little over 15 minutes to go.

With eight minutes to go, Joe Grey was inches away from the fourth. An innocuous flick towards goal briefly wrong-footed Richardson, but the ‘keeper clambered back to claw it out.

Good game management saw Pools see the match out comfortably, despite a low drive stretching Dixon in the closing stages. They now turn their attention to Monday’s trip to Chesterfield.

Pools XI: Dixon; Seaman (Paterson 89), Dodds, Onariase, Lacey, Ferguson; Cooke, Crawford, Mancini (Wallace 78); Dieseruvwe, Wreh (Grey 48)

Subs: Jameson, Hastie

Booked: Crawford (39), Grey (67), Cooke (95)

Attendance: 4,376 (67 Away)

Advertisement block