Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Pools Defeated on Opening Day

5 August 2023

Match Reports

Match Report: Pools Defeated on Opening Day

5 August 2023

HARTLEPOOL United’s National League opener ended in defeat when they went down 3-2 despite a late fightback at Barnet.

A scrambled Adebola Oluwa goal midway through the first half put the Bees ahead at the Hive with ex-Pools striker Nicke Kabamba and Danny Collinge on target after the break to make it 3-0 to the hosts..

Sub Jake Hastie pulled one back eight minutes from time and was then fouled in the fourth of 10 added minutes.

The Scot, taking the spot-kick rather than Josh Umerah, had his penalty saved by Laurie Walker, but Barnet could not clear and Umerah hammered a right-foot shot into the net.

Little happened in the early stages, with the first attempt at goal from Charlie Seaman on 14 minutes, but it was high, wide and not at all handsome, with his left peg.

Pools went behind on 22 minutes.

They were put under pressure from a free-kick floated into the area and while Dixon made the initial save, centre-back Oluwo was able to poke home in a scramble.

Pools should be level three minutes later after four efforts at the home goal.

A long-range effort from Tom Crawford was saved by Laurie Walker, who then blocked the follow up shot by Anthony Mancini, with a third attempt by Umerah deflected for a corner.

From that corner, Crawford had a gilt-edged opportunity to equalise only for the midfielder to shoot weakly at Walker.

The rest of the half belonged to the Bees.
Kabamba headed wide from a corner. on the half hour, while Coker shot over from a free-kick and a Zak Brunt effort from outside the area was saved.

Just before half-time, Pools were indebted to Dixon, who made a superb save low to his right after Kabamba broke clear.

After the break, Pools threatened when Umerah burst forward with his shot deflected for a corner from which Manny Onariase saw a header slide wide.

But Pools went further behind in the 54th minute with ex-employee Kabamba the scorer.

The linesman, initially, appeared to have his flag up for offside but referee Jamie O'Connor gave the goal.
It got worse in the 67th minute when Barnet added a third when central defender Danny Collinge headed in at the far post.

Askey introduced Joe Grey and Hastie in the second half, and it was the Scot who scored the first goal of the season on 82 minute.

The ball ran kindly to Hastie after Umerah had pressured his marker and he burst forward and applied a calm finish into the keeper's left corner.

It looked like the game would peter out but Pools were encouraged by 10 added minutes.

That encouragement went up a level when Hastie was fouled in the area in the fourth minute of stoppage time.

His spot-kick was saved by Walker, diving to his left, but when Barnet could

not get the ball away, Umerah lashed it home.

Barnet: Walker; Hall-Johnson (Wynter 88), Collinge, Okimo (Potter 65), Oluwo, Coker; Pritchard, Gorman (Barratt71) ; Brunt, Kabamba, Kanu.

Subs (not used): Senior, Stead

Goals: Oluwo 22, Kabamba 54, Collinge 66

Booked: Gorman 41

Pools: Dixon; Dodds, Onariase, Pruti; Seaman (Grey 59), Crawford, Cooke, Mancini, Ferguson; Umerah, Wreh (Hastie 72)

Subs (not used): Jameson, Lacey, Dolan

Goal: Hastie 82, Umerah 90+5

Booked: Ferguson 61, Crawford 81, Grey 84

Referee: Jamie O’Connor

Att: 1,909 (away 537)

Advertisement block