Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match report: Pools defeated at home

22 April 2023

Club News

Match report: Pools defeated at home

22 April 2023

Hartlepool United face a huge task to stay in the EFL after losing 2-0 to Crawley Town in their relegation six-pointer.

A goal in each half from Dom Telford ensured the Red Devils took victory in front of a 6,812-crowd at the Suit Direct Stadium.

It was the team’s third successive 2-0 defeat and leaves Pools six points behind Crawley with just two matches remaining and with an inferior goal difference.

Pools sadly never really got going, aside from some good attacking moments immediately before and after half-time.

Boss John Askey made just one change to his XI, bringing in Matty Dolan for the first start under the new boss, with Taylor Foran stepping down to the bench.

A huge crowd was packed into the Suit Direct Stadium and they gave Pools a rapturous ovation.

But for all the supporters willing Pools on, the first half belonged to the visitors who had six attempts at the home goal.

Jakub Stolarczyk was called upon in the 10th minute to keep the scoreline blank when he made a diving save to his left from Jack Powell’s header.

Crawley looked calm and composed in their football, with Pools edgy in possession.

They had to wait until midway through the half for their first attempt at goal when Mo Sylla headed wide from David Ferguson's cross.

Dan Kemp had a crack at goal from a long-range free-kick but it cleared the Rink End roof before Callum Cooke hit the side-netting with a left-foot shot.

Crawley’s first-half superiority was translated into the lead in the 40th minute.

The Red Devils broke quickly and while Stolarczyk kept out the initial effort, Telford was on hand to nod in from close range.

Pools had two openings to equalise but Cooke skewed a shot well wide and was then too slow in injury time.

The midfielder also had the first effort in the second half but was again wide.

Pools did make Addal work a minute later when the Crawley keeper made a great save from a deflected Sterry piledriver.

The hosts had another opening in the 52nd minute when Dodds delivered a delicious cross from the right which Umerah was just unable to meet.

Askey made his first change on the hour when Wes McDonald came on for Edon Pruti with Ollie Finney soon entering the fray for Cooke.

in between there was a change of referee with Sam Barrott coming off, with Tomas Kirk taking over in the middle.

But there was soon a second Crawley goal from Telford.

It was route one stuff from Crawley as Telford brilliantly took down Addal's long punt and beat Stolarczyk.

Askey sent on his third sub when Ollie Finney replaced Dolan and he was soon involved as Pools finally picked up some pace.

But they were unable to trouble the visitors though a low Sylla shot brought a save from Addal, who watched a Kemp free-kick sail over his bar and into a packed Town End.

Pools: Stolarczyk;  Dodds, Dolan (Hamilton 75), Pruti (McDonald 60); Sterry, Sylla Cooke (Finney 65);  Kemp; Umerah, Jennings. Subs (not used): Killip, Crawford, Kiernan, Foran

Booked: Foran 5, Hamilton 90

Crawley: Addal; Johnson, Ransom, Conroy, Tsaroula; Tilley, Gladwin (Grant 65), Powell, Oteh (Fellows 53);  Telford (Khaleel 81), Nadesan. Subs (not used): Schofield, Roles, Spong, Ogungbo

Goals: Telford 40, 66

Booked: Gladwin 25, Powell 62, Telford 67, Conroy 86

Referee: Sam Barrott (Thomas Kirk 65)

Attendance: 6,812 (away 259)

Advertisement block