Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Pools defeated by Carlisle

8 October 2022

Match Reports

Match Report: Pools defeated by Carlisle

8 October 2022

Hartlepool United suffered their first defeat under interim boss Keith Curle when Carlisle United won 3-1 at the Suit Direct Stadium.

It looked promising for Pools at the break after Alex Lacey had put the hosts ahead in the 43rd minute.But the Cumbrians came on strong in the second half with Owen Moxon firing them level before sub Omari Patrick scored twice in the space of eight minutes to clinch the points.

Curle made two changes, bringing in Reghan Tumilty for the injured Rollin Menayese, with midweek hero Wes McDonald replacing Calum Cooke, who was on the bench.

The interim Pools boss stuck with his 4-4-2 formation with his old Wolves pal, Paul Simpson, sending Carlisle out with a 3-5-2.

The atmosphere inside the Suit Direct Stadium was electric at the start but it took until the 15th-minute for the first real chance when Ben Killip, not for the first time this season, made a tremendous save, making a point-blank stop from Jordan Gibson.

Pools had a sight at the away goal a minute later but Mo Sylla sidefooted some distance wide  after good work from McDonald.

The Cumbrians had two good opportunities on the half-hour but Kris Dennis shanked his attempt wide following a corner and seconds later it needed good work by Tumilty to stop Jack Stretton’s run.

Pools then had their best period with Jack Hamilton seeing two efforts from close range blocked by keeper Tomas Holy, though the offside flag was up anyway.

Sylla then blazed over from a David Ferguson free-kick but the Fergie route would open up again on 43 minutes.

Clarke Odour kept the ball alive and Lacey thumped his shot home via the Rink End bar.

Pools had the first shot after the break too though Hamilton was well wide in first few seconds and that was his last contribution, hobbling off injured to be replaced by Mikael Ndjoli.

Carlisle pulled level in the 53rd minute through Moxon.

The midfielder took possession in the middle of the park, strode forward and scored with a great shot into Killip's bottom left corner

Carlisle were almost in front four minutes later after Jon Mellish powered forward from the back and it needed Ferguson to make a goal-saving block from Stretton.

The Cumbrians looked dangerous every time they went forward and won several corners, but Pools were not without a sight at goal, though Umerah could only find the Town End crowd from an Ndjoli knock-down 20 minutes from time.

An away goal appeared to be coming and Pools went behind 15 minutes from time.

Patrick was given the freedom of the home box and the sub had time to control and  pick his spot into Killip's bottom right corner.

There was worse to come for Pools in the 82nd minute when Carlisle broke through again with Patrick scoring in front off the 691 away fans to seal the points.

Late on,  Umerah charged forward but was denied by good defending from Paul Huntington.

Pools: Killip; Tumilty, Murray, Lacey, Ferguson; McDonald (Cooke 60), Sylla, Crawford, Odour (Hastie 80), Hamilton (Ndjoli 52), Umerah. Subs (not used): Paterson, Shelton, Grey, Letheren

Goal: Lacey 43Booked: Crawford 3

Carlisle: Holy; Whelan, Huntington, Mellish; Back (Edmondson 61), Moxon, Gibson, Guy, Armer; Stretton (Patrick 66), Dennis. Subs (not used): Idehen, Feeney, Charters, Harris, Kelly

Goals: Moxon 53, Patrick 75, 82

Referee: Tom Reeves

Att: 5,525 (away 691)

Advertisement block