Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match report: Pools go through on penalties!

15 November 2022

Club News

Match report: Pools go through on penalties!

15 November 2022

HARTLEPOOL United showed their composure from the spot to beat Solihull Moors in a penalty shoot-out to win a place in the second round of the FA Cup.

Nicky Featherstone and subs They Robinson, Jake Hastie and Joe Grey all netted from 12 yards as Pools beat Moors 4-3 to win a Suit Direct Stadium thriller after the tie finished 1-1 after extra-time.

Keith Curle’s side will now face Harrogate at home on Saturday, November 26.

It was hard on Solihull who were constantly thwarted by Ben Killip, who produced a man-of-the-match performance between the sticks.

After the clubs played out a 2-2 draw at Damson Park, they could not be separated here at 90 or 120 minutes.

Ryan Barnett had given Neal Ardley’s team an early lead before Reghan Tumilty rescued Pools a minute from time when he scored in the same corner at the Town End.

Pools fell behind top a smartly-taken Barnett goal in the ninth minute.

The hosts could not get the ball clear from a Moors corner and Barnett was allowed time and space to advance forward and scored with a low shot from the edge of the box into Ben Killip’s right corner.

Joey Jones headed wide from Solihull's third corner before Pools suffered a double blow in the 23rd minute.

Moors keeper Louie Moulden did well to first save a fizzing effort from Wes McDonald and then got up to challenge the imposing figure of Umerah from the rebound. 

Sadly, the leading scorer came off worst in the collision and was unable to continue after treatment, with last season’s FA Cup third round hero Joe Grey coming on.

Just after the half-hour, Moors broke quickly from a Pools corner but this time, Barnett’s shot was a tame one and straight at Killip who made a vital 43rd-minute stop from Ben Coker following an away corner.

A second goal then and it could have been curtains.

Killip prevented Pools from going 2-0 down four minutes into the second period when he saved with his feet from Callum Whelan after a rapid Moors break.

The Pools keeper saved again, this time at his near post, from Andrew Dallas, while at the other end, Callum Cooke was well wide with his right foot and Grey with his head.

Some nifty footwork from sub Clarke Odour worked him some space but his shot was straight at the goalie while a Cooke thunderbolt flashed wide.

At the other end, Killip was having a stormer, diving to his left to thwar Dallas and then producing a brilliant save from Joe Sbarra who was clean through.

With time ticking, Pools piled on the pressure with Moulden making a dramatic save as the hosts laid siege to the Moors goal.

The goal finally came in the 89th minute and it was a first for Reghan Tumilty, who, despite being under pressure and slightly off balance finished nicely intro the keeper’s right corner from 12 yards.

Pools were far from convincing in stoppage time, with Killip again saving well, to force extra-time.

In the added 30 minutes, David Ferguson hit a screamer just over and Tumilty drove just wide from range, while Killip made a breathtaking save to foil Coker who looked certain to score.

After the break, Grey played in fellow sub Theo Robinson who thought he had put Pools ahead only for the assistant’s flag to rule a tight offside call.

Another sub, Clarke Odour, almost went all the way with a John Barnes v Brazil-like run but his finish did not match the approach and the goalie saved with comfort.

It meant penalties and after Kyle Storer skied Solihull’s first and Josh Kelly rolled the second weakly at Killip, Pools were in charge and while Ferguson missed his attempt, it was the only miss as Grey confidently put in the final home pen.

Advertisement block