Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match report: Pools defeated in Bristol

15 January 2022

Club News

Match report: Pools defeated in Bristol

15 January 2022

Heartbreak for Pools as a Rovers take the three points with two late goals.


A really positive first-half for Graeme Lee’s side saw Pools dominate the majority of the possession and chances.


On 15 minutes, Holohan controlled the ball in the area before being taken out by Evans but the referee didn’t look interested in which seemed a blatant penalty.


Pools continued to put the pressure on Joey Barton’s side as just three minutes later, Ferguson slipped in Carver who got to the byline before cutting it back to Molyneux and his shot on goal was well blocked.


20 minutes gone and it was still all Pools. Gary Liddle, who today made his 350th Hartlepool appearance, found himself on the right wing, he whipped a delicious ball into the area and Holohan volleyed over.


A few moments later, Carver found himself inside the area, one on one but his effort was dragged wide.


The big final chance of the half was once again for Pools as Ferguson’s free-kick is whipped right across the goal line and no man in red and black can tap it in!


The second half started in similar fashion with Pools dominating and on 55 minutes Featherstone got to the byline and his cut back for Carver led to a blocked shot.



67 minutes gone and Molyneux found space on the right hand side of the area before hitting the side netting.


Ten minutes later and Pools probably had the best chance of the game. Ferguson delivered a low cross into the area and five yards out, Cullen is denied by Belshaw.


84 minutes, the corner comes in and Holohan has a header blocked off the line.


Just two minutes later, Pools can’t believe their luck. Aaron Collins smashes the ball past Killip to put the gas ahead. Their first shot on target of the game.


With Pools chasing a goal in the final moments and everyone pushed up the field, Bristol were able to clear and Collins ran through, bundled over by Sterry, red card. The resulting free kick was smashed home by Evans to make it 2-0 and Rovers take the three points.


Pools: Killip, Sterry( red) , Byrne(yellow), Liddle (Yellow), Odusina, Ferguson (Yellow), Featherstone, Crawford, Holohan, Molyneux, Carver.


Subs: Boyes, Ogle, Hull (replaced Liddle), Shelton, Daly, Grey(Replaced Crawford), Cullen(Replaced Carver)




Advertisement block