Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match report and post-match: Pools defeated at home

3 December 2022

Club News

Match report and post-match: Pools defeated at home

3 December 2022

Hartlepool United suffered their first home defeat in four matches when they were beaten 5-0 by in-form away specialists Stockport County at the Suit Direct Stadium.

Keith Curle’s side were a pale shadow of the team which beat Harrogate in the FA Cup, conceding twice in the first half and three times in the second period.

County had a chance inside three minutes but Myles Hippolyte went wide.

It was not the most exciting of starts with neither side troubling the rival keeper.

But it all changed on 16 minutes when Reghan Tumilty attempted to head the ball back to Ben Killip but only succeeded in putting it on a plate for Kyle Wooton who had the easy task of sticking the ball in the Town End net.

Inside five minutes it was 2-0.

County broke down the right and Will Collar slid the perfect low cross for Wooton to tuck away his second from inside the six-yard box.

Bar a wild shot from Nicky Featherstone there had been little from Pools though they had a decent opening on 27 minutes from their best move of the half when Christopher Missilou headed wide from a Jake Hastie.

And it was Hastie who had an amazing opportunity in the last minute of the first period when he was in on goal only to slash wide with the net at his mercy.

Pools started brightly after the break with Jack Hamilton sent on up front as a half-time sub for Missilou.

There were chances at both ends, with Josh Umerah inches away from getting on the end of a left-wing cross and Paddy Madden shooting wide at the Rink End.

On 58 minutes there was a staggering miss from Hippolyte. The ball was begging to be put in the home net from a four-man move but he slid it wide of Killip’s left stick.

A third Stockport goal came on the hour when Ryan Rydel put over a corner from the right which Madden expertly headed into Killip’s top right corner.

When you thought it could get no worse, it did in the 67th minute when sub Callum Camps scored after Pools failed to clear their box with Collar adding a fifth five minutes from time.

Pools: Killip; Tumilty, Murray, Menayese, Ferguson; Missilou (Hamilton 46), Featherstone, Sylla (Grey 70); Cooke, Hastie (McDonald 70), Umerah 

Subs (not used): Letheren, Paterson, Odour, Ndjoli

Stockport: Hinchiffe; Wright, Horsfall, Johnson; Southam-Hales, Collar, Croasdale, (McDonald 72), Hippolyte (Camps 65), Rydel; Wooton, Madden (Crankshaw 72)

Subs (not used): Jones, Evans, Brown, Lewis

Goals: Wooton 16, 20, Madden 61, Camps 67, Collar 85

Booked: Crankshaw 80

Referee: Ben Toner 

Att: 5,079 (685 away)

You can hear Keith Curle's full post-match interview here.

Advertisement block