Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match report: A good point against the league leaders

9 April 2022

Hartlepool United brought a point away from league leaders Forest Green Rovers after a 1-1 draw. Omar Bogle’s equaliser cancelled out Regan Hendry’s well-struck opener to claim a credible draw for Graeme Lee’s side.

In a first half of few chances, Pools could have led through Tom Crawford. Fresh from signing his new contract, the midfielder latched onto Bogle’s flick on, but his finish drifted wide of the upright.

Forest Green had a chance of their own in the first period, but Killip’s strong hand denied the home side and the teams went into the interval all square.

Our hosts came out of the traps quickly in the second half and took the lead within 10 minutes. Bogle cleared from a corner, but Regan Hendry reacted first and smashed a half-volley into the net from the edge of the box.

In response, Jamie Sterry saw a volley blocked after a good run and David Ferguson worked hard down the left without creating clear-cut chances. Ben Killip punched a Rovers cross away as the hosts looked for a second, while the back-five continued to defend well.

Pools were back on level terms not long later. Ben Killip moved the ball quickly after a Forest Green attack, releasing Bogle down the right. The forward squared to Crawford on the halfway line and continued his run into the box. Crawford’s inch-perfect pass found the forward who took a touch and rolled the ball beyond McGee.

Forest Green came close a winner with five minutes to go, but Killip sprung to his left and tipped March’s header onto the bar and behind. With just a minute left, Cadden almost connected at the back post for Rovers, but the chance passed and Killip wasn’t needed.

A last-minute chance fell to Pools, but Joe Grey’s effort was wide and both sides ended up with a point.

Pools XI: Killip; Byrne, Liddle, Odusina; Sterry, Morris, Crawford, Shelton (White 70), Ferguson; Bogle (Fletcher 90), Carver (Grey 80)

Advertisement block