Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match report: Unbeaten run comes to an end

12 November 2021

Club News

Match report: Unbeaten run comes to an end

12 November 2021

Hartlepool United’s proud unbeaten home EFL record is over after Newport County snatched a late winner at the Suits Direct Stadium.

The entertaining Friday night contest looked destined for a 1-1 draw only for Dom Telford to force in a dramatic injury-time goal.

Pools failed to stop a high cross from Ryan Haynes from the left and when the ball fell to Telford he applied the finishing touch.

Pools were on the offensive from the first whistle and had the opening sight of goal only to see Nicky Featherstone firing high, very high, over the top.

Antony Sweeney’s side were vibrant going forward and some quality crosses came in from north flanks, but with no reward.

The first danger from Newport came on 11 minutes when midfielder Oliver Cooper hared into the area, though Neill Byrne’s defending was outstanding and it ended as a goal-kick at the Town End.

There was further threat from the attack-minded visitors in the 19th minute when it needed a great save from Ben Killip to his left to thwart Fin Azaz with the midfielder soon trying his luck again from further out but shooting well wide.

Killip was beaten in the 22nd minute but Dom Telford's chip landeds on the roof of the net rather than in it.

A goal was coming though it was perhaps a surprise it came from a dead-ball.

Poolie Matty Dolan swung in a delicious ball from the right which Baker-Richardson headed powerfully in.

Pools were not daunted and after a good move in first-half injury time it needed an excellent block by Ed Upson to deny David Ferguson.

After the break, Pools were first out of the blocks with Molyneux putting over a great low cross but no-one in blue and white was there to convert.

Molyneux shot wide with his left peg after a break towards goal before Daly volleyed over with his right.

Ferguson was then just inches wide with a free-kick with Joe Day scrambling to his right stick.

But that was merely a sighter as Fergie’s left boot produced a piece of magic in the 63rd minute.

Molyneux was in full flight when he was brought down just outside the box by Mickey Demetriou. Luckily for the defender there were covering colleagues otherwise he’d have seen red rather than yellow.

But he was punished when Ferguson’s free-kick flew into Day’s top left-corner.

Pools should have had a second 17 minutes from time after some lovely feet and break by Molyneux but he tried to set up a team-mate only for his pass to be picked up by a County defender.

Newport continued to be a threat but their shooting failed to match their build-up play.

That was until the dying seconds when Telford struck in the second of four added minutes.

Pools could have had just complaints that referee Sam Barrott only added a further 44 seconds given the length of County celebrations, not to mention time-wasting, but it was to prove the end of the run. 

Pools: Killip; Byrne, Liddle, Angol; Ogle, Featherstone, Daly, Shelton (Fondop 80), Ferguson; Molyneux, Cullen (Grey 74) 

Subs (not used): Mitchell, Hendrie, Odusina, Smith, Crawford 

Goal: Ferguson 63

Newport: Day; Norman, Clarke, Dolan, Haynes; Upson, Demetriou, Azaz, Cooper (Cain 71); Telford, Richardson (Ellison 86).

Subs (not used): Fisher, Lewis, Abraham, Missilou, Townsed.

Goal: Baker-Richardson 32, Telford 90

Booked: Cooper 60, Demetriou 63

Referee: Sam Barrott

Att: 5,764 (away 114)


Advertisement block