Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match report: Home unbeaten run comes to an end

8 May 2021

Match Reports

Match report: Home unbeaten run comes to an end

8 May 2021

Hartlepool United suffered a 4-2 defeat to Maidenhead after a hat-trick from Sam Barratt and a goal from Danilo Orsi.

The game started with a flurry of chances as Oates had a long-range strike parried by Lovett while Orsi and Bennett had chances at Pools' end.

Maidenhead had the first clear-cut opportunity as Sparkes got in behind. He looked nailed-on to score but somehow cleared the crossbar from close-range.

Chances for Holohan, Oates, and Molyneux followed, but Lovett held firm in the Magpies' net.

The opener came from a defensive mistake. Odusina misread the throw in and the ball rolled through the danger man Danilo Orsi. The 16-goal striker made no mistake, placing the ball beyond Ravas and into the bottom corner.

Orsi's goal woke Pools up and chances for Molyneux and Saunders followed. Pools were back level not long after through Rhys Oates. A goal-of-the-season contender started with Oates picking up the ball on the left. From there, the striker took on six Maidenhead defenders, twisting and turning past challenges before firing the ball past Lovett.

Ferguson then tried for a carbon-copy down the left but Lovett was equal to his low drive. From the resulting corner, Saunders hit the bar before Maidenhead struck again.

Orsi once again got in behind the Pools defence and after his chance was blocked by Odusina, Barrett managed to reach the ball first and slide it home.

The first half ended in controversy as Sterry avoided a booking for a late challenge, much to the disdain of Alan Devonshire in the Maidenhead dugout. On the counter-attack, Saunders looked to break through and was caught high by Ryheem Sheckleford who saw red after deliberation from the referee.

The second half started in the worst possible way for Pools as Barratt got his second. The striker judged the goal-kick from Lovett well, brought the ball down, and fired it into the net to put Maidenhead 3-1 up.

Challinor rang the changes, bringing on Danny Elliott, Lewis Cass, and Luke Williams, but it wasn't enough to slow down Maidenhead. Barratt struck from 30 yards out and the low shot found its way past Ravas for 4-1.

Pools looked to back in the game, with Saunders striking the post and Williams seeing a chance blocked in the final third. Molyneux and Oates also had chances, but defensive blocks or comfortable Lovett saves kept the score the same.

Danny Elliott had a big chance to get a goal back after good work from Luke Williams, but the former Chester striker could only find the Town End. The striker then got close to David Ferguson's cross but he couldn't quite make contact.

Danny Elliott did get his goal five minutes from time after a header gave Pools a bit of hope.

Two huge chances came in six minutes of stoppage time but big blocks from Massey and Parry denied Elliott and Sterry.

Three big games for Pools are still to come, including the final home match of the season against Weymouth.

YELLOW CARDS: Ferguson, Johnson

Subs: OFF: Shelton, Holohan, Odusina

ON: Williams, Cass, Danny Elliott

Advertisement block