Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match report: Oates' strike gives Pools all three points

20 March 2021

Match Reports

Match report: Oates' strike gives Pools all three points

20 March 2021

Pools got back to winning ways with a hard-fought win over

Woking. Rhys Oates' low strike was the difference between two sides that

defended well throughout.

The game started with few chances for either side.

Featherstone and White controlled the midfield well, and the first touch for

either goalkeeper was when Killip collected Sam Ashford's cross.

The first clear-cut chance of the game came in the 14th

minute. After slipping past Diarra, Rhys Oates pulled the ball back to Luke

Molyneux who could only strike the top of the Woking crossbar.

Two more chances followed for Pools with Williams dragging aclose-range chance wide and Tom White firing over from 25 yards out.

It was then Woking's chance to attack. A long ball through

the middle finally found Matt Jarvis whose hooked cross was headed over by

returning striker Niko Muir.

Ferguson continued to put balls into the box, but the first

half finished without a goal for either side. Ryan Johnson's booking for

dissent was the only other talking point of the half after he disagreed with

the assistant referee's decision.

Pools started the second half on the front foot and had a

chance with Liddle, but the experienced defender could only head straight at

Smith. Fortunately, the referee had already blown for a free-kick.

Former Poolie Muir was replaced on the hour as Woking

pressed forward. Their pressure was almost rewarded after Matt Jarvis found

space and crossed for Ashford. The forward thought he had scored, but Killip

pulled off the save of the season to claw his effort away.

Another chance for Woking followed as Ashford got clear andhit the right-hand post with Killip beaten.

Back-and-forth possession followed with few chances carved

out by either side. Casey had a long-range effort flash over Killip's crossbar

and a cross from Oates was claimed by Smith, but much of the game was lost in

the midfield.

Holohan and Shelton were introduced to inject energy into

the midfield, with both putting pressure on the Woking backline. Johnson had a

half-chance for Pools after a good corner from Ferguson but Woking defended


It was the impact of Shelton that led to the first goal.

Collecting the ball 30 yards from goal, the midfielder slid the ball through to

Rhys Oates who fired across Smith into the bottom corner.

Pools controlled much of the closing minutes with skipperRyan Donaldson replacing Luke Molyneux for the final few minutes.

The result keeps Hartlepool second in the league and they

can look forward to Tuesday's trip to Dagenham & Redbridge knowing they've

got back to winning ways.

Bookings: Johnson (37)

Subs: Williams and White/ Shelton and Holohan (70),Molyneux/ Donaldson (91)

Advertisement block