Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match report: Pools hit 5 in Pre Season

11 September 2020

Match Reports

Match report: Pools hit 5 in Pre Season

11 September 2020

Hartlepool United played out a 5-1  victory as pre season continued against Northern Premier League side Morpeth Town.

It was a lively start from both teams as the game was end to end but the first real chance fell to Gav Holohan after the ball was cut back to the edge of the box and midfielder fired just over. 

The first goal came for Pools after 10 mins as Claudio Ofuso pressured the Morpeth defender, won the ball and then slotted the ball into the bottom right corner. A well deserved lead for Dave Challinor's men. 

Pools, who started the game with 4 Trialists on the pitch controlled the game for the first 30 minutes but Morpeth gradually grew into the game and hit the post from a close effort. 

Pools would continue to look for a second as it was Rhys Oates who then came close as his shot was saved by the Morpeth Keeper. 

Half time: Morpeth 0-1 Hartlepool United 

The first chance of the second half once again fell to Holohan who came close but his effort was saved well by the Morpeth Keeper once again. Pools kept pushing for the second and it was Aaron Cunningham who came marginally close as he headed wide from the corner ball. 

Pools finally did find their second as a great passing move ended with a fast paced ball into the box and Mason Bloomfield was in the right place at the right time to put the ball in the back of the net. 

As 60 minutes hit, Pools fielded a completely different XI: 

Killip, Donaldson, Liddle, Odusina, Ferguson, Featherstone, Shelton, Williams, MacDonald, Grey, Molyneux

First big chance for the new side fell to Joe Grey who turned one way and then the other and was unlucky to fire just over the bar. 

The third goal came right on 75 minutes as Ryan Donaldson found some space on the right hand side, whipped the cross in to find the head of Mark Shelton who guided the ball into the bottom corner. 

The action livened up quickly as two minutes later Morpeth pulled a goal back when former Poolie Liam Noble slotted the ball past Ben Killip with an effort from just outside the box. 

Pools would continue to be on the front foot as Luke Molyneux reacted quickly to close down the Morpeth keeper, win the ball and square it for Joe Grey who was unlucky to fire over from around 4 yards.

Into the last few minutes and Pools were still firing as David Ferguson joined the attack and slotted home into the bottom corner to make it 4 for Pools. Two minutes later, right on the full time whistle, Donaldson superbly picked up the ball and rocketed it straight into the top left corner ending the night 5-1. 

A good run out for two different sides as Pools look to carry on the good win tomorrow as they face Blyth Spartans. 

Advertisement block