Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Pools taste defeat for the first time against league leaders Torquay

31 October 2020

Club News

Pools taste defeat for the first time against league leaders Torquay

31 October 2020

Hartlepool United tasted defeat for the first time thisseason as they fell to a 5-0 defeat at home to Torquay United.

It was a horror show from start to finish for Pools as the leagueleaders really showed their dominance from minute one.

The first goal of the five came after 11 minutes as one defence

splitting ball found Danny Wright who had a free run in on goal and calmly

slotted past Ben Killip.

It didn't get much better for Pools as just three minutes

later as Wynter's headed flick on inside the box once again fell to Wright who slotted

into the bottom right corner to make it a nightmare opening 15 minutes for the

home side.

Hartlepool were then forced into an early change when

Odusina went down holding his hamstring and Challinor was forced into an early substitute

with Joe Grey coming on.

The defensive errors didn't stop from Pools as Ferguson

played the ball across his box to Cass who was unable to control and Whitfield

then had the simple task to make it 3-0 for Torquay.

Just before half time, Pools tried to work their way into the game and substitute Joe Grey shifted the ball onto his right foot and shot just narrowly wide of the right-hand post.

The second half did not get any better for Pools and after

55 minutes Challinors men found themselves 4-0 down. A simple ball into the box

was controlled Whitfield who floated it to the back post and Wright had a free

header at the back post to complete his hattrick.

The biggest chance of the game for Hartlepool came to Parkhouse

as he was played in on goal by Molyneux but he can slash his shot wide of the

mark. His effort really summarising the night for Pools.

Torquay wrapped up the game in the 87th minute as

a corner from Evans fell to the back post and Warren has an open goal to smash

the ball home.

First defeat of the season for Pools and they will now waita full week for the next fixture as they face Salford in the FA Cup next Saturday.

Advertisement block