Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match report: Unbeaten run continues as Pools draw with Bromley

13 October 2020

Match Reports

Match report: Unbeaten run continues as Pools draw with Bromley

13 October 2020

Hartlepool United made it four unbeaten games this season, but were left to rue a string of missed chances in a goalless draw with Bromley.

At a wet and windy Victoria Park, Pools dominated throughout, twice hitting the woodwork, but unable to find a breakthrough after starting the new season with three successive victories.

Gavan Holohan and Mark Shelton both hit the bar, but Pools failed to turn their supremacy into goals.

Pools made one change from the weekend, with Rhys Oates making his first start since returning to the club. He replaced Matt Bloomfield up front, while there was a welcome return to the squad for Luke Molyneux after he tested positive for COVID-19.

Gavan Holohan fired a shot over from 20 yards on ten minutes, as the game started in heavy rain and a strong wind blowing towards the Town End.

Pools' keeper Ben Killip was quick off his line to prevent a low, teasing free-kick from the visitors from causing a problem in the area.

A low shot from Holohan was deflected wide for Pools' first corner on 17 minutes and Nicky Featherstone pulled wide.

Pools cut through the visitors when Claudio Ofosu moved inside and the ball found its way to captain Ryan Donaldson, who dragged wide from an angle.

Then David Ferguson opened up on the left, fed Holohan and his low shot was saved. 

Holohan turned the ball in from six yards on the half hour, but there was no complaints as he was flagged offside.

Mark Shelton should have scored shortly afterwards. He picked his spot with a first-time finish, but his effort came back off the bar with keeper Mark Cousins beaten.

Pools kept up the pressure, but kept missing their openings. This time good play from Lewis Cass on the right secured a swift break and his ball into the area was measured, but Donaldson couldn't finish.

Right from the restart Pools could have gone in front. David Ferguson's curling through ball was arrowed towards Oates, but the striker couldn't get enough on the ball to tap home.

Pools hit the bar again on the hour. This time it was Holohan, heading against the woodwork after good work on the flank by Ferguson to create the opening and cause havoc in the home defence.

Then a ball fired across the face of goal by Lewis Cass was hooked away by defender Harry Forster as the pressure was maintained,

The pressure was incessant, as a header from Ryan Johnson was saved low by Cousins.

Home-grown striker Joe Gray made his first Victoria Park outing, replacing Ofousu on 74 minutes.

The visitors packed more into their defensive unit to frustrate Pools and it became a tight game when Pools had possession. 

Then a cross was met by Donaldson, but he was always stretching and could only head away from goal.

Mason Bloomfield was introduced with four minutes to go, Challinor using his last substitute.

On 90 minutes, keeper Ben Killip saved with his legs to preserve a point and keep the unbeaten opening intact.

POOLS: Killip; Cass, Odusina, Johnson, Ferguson; Shelton (Bloomfiekd 86), Featherstone, Holohan; Ofosu (Gray 74), Oates (Molyneux 62), Donaldson. Subs: Ravas, Crawford.

BROMLEY: Cousins; Roberts, Webster, Holland (Maloney 90), Bush; Raymond, Trotter; Forster (Coulson 62), Williamson, L'Ghoul (Alabi 76); Cheek. Subs: Purrington, Vincent. 

Referee: Rebecca Walsh.

Advertisement block