Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Pools defeated AET in FA Cup tie against Salford

7 November 2020

Club News

Pools defeated AET in FA Cup tie against Salford

7 November 2020

It took one hundred and twenty minutes to decide this first round FA Cup tie but two goals from Salford AET knocked Pools out the competition.

Dave Challinor made six changes to his side that were beaten by Torquay including new signing Tyler Magloire who only joined on Friday.

Despite Salford's early dominance of possession, the first big chance fell to Claudio Ofosu after ten minutes, as he cut onto his right foot and his effort hit the top of the crossbar.

Salford would continue to apply pressure and some smart saves from Ravas to deny a Wilson header and a second effort kept the tie level heading into the break.

A first half with not a lot to shout about.

Pools started the second half a lot better than the first and created a huge chance in the 46th minute. Featherstone sold three Salford defenders as he cut onto his right foot and his effort was driven narrowly wide.

Pools would continue to create chances as in the 75th minute, substitute Molyneux drove into the heart of the Salford defence and fired a venomous effort just wide of the post.

Five minutes later, Ofosu found himself in acres of space on the right-hand side, he had a chance to square it to Parkhouse but went alone and his tame effort was collected by the Salford keeper.

That would be the last chance of the 90 minutes as the tie went on to extra time.

Both sides continued to fight for an opener and on the 105TH minute, Pools were made to rue those missed chances. A ball over the top was not cleared by Magloire and then Johnson. Salford found themselves in behind and were able to square it to Andrade who had a tap in at the back post to make it 1-0.

As the tie went into the last few minutes, Pools would continue to throw the ball into the box and in the 120th minute, the game was killed off as Salford countered Pools attack, a long ball downfield found Hunter who slotted in Dieseruvwe and the forward was able to put it past Ravas to make it 2-0 right on the referees full time whistle.

Pools battled well and gave Challinor the reaction he required after the Torquay defeat. Missed chances were punished by the league two side and Salford advance into the next round. Pools next game is at Eastleigh next Saturday.

You can listen to Dave Challinor's post-match thoughts here:

Advertisement block