Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Pools Beaten In Scrappy New Year Game

1 January 2020

Match Reports

Pools Beaten In Scrappy New Year Game

1 January 2020

Harrogate Town enjoyed a third victory over Pools inside three

weeks as a second half goal from Jon Stead was enough to give them all three

points at Victoria Park on New Year's Day.

The North Yorkshire outfit knocked Pools out of the FA

Trophy last month and followed it up with a Boxing Day win at The CNG Stadium

before grinding out a 1-0 triumph at The Vic.

Dave Challinor opted to make two changes to his line-up with

Mitchell Beeney handed a debut in goal and Michael Raynes restored to defence,

while Luke Molyneux was named on the bench as he continues his recovery from

ankle surgery.

The game wasn't much of a spectacle for fans of either side with

chances at a premium during a largely scrappy affair which was never as open as

the previous two contests.

Mark Shelton lashed a long-range free-kick over the bar,

while Stead snatched at a half-chance at the other end as the two sides mis-fired

their way through the first half.

Gime Toure almost came up with a bit of magic after Beeney's

long clearance had been expertly pulled down by Nicke Kabamba but the Frenchman's

powerful drive flew in to the side netting.

Jack Muldoon was denied by some excellent last-ditch

defending by Gary Liddle, while the loan star also did well to get in the way

of a Warren Burrell drive as Town pressed for the opener.

Challinor withdrew Toure at the break and threw on Mark

Kitching down the left – and the Pools team came out to start the second half

with the bit between their teeth.

They got on the front foot and began causing problems for

their visitors but Stead flashed an effort too high on the counter-attack as

they reminded Pools of their danger on the break.

Pools almost stole in front on 56 minutes when a corner was

fizzed in from the left but Raynes couldn't get a firm enough contact on the

ball and it flashed across goal and wide of the far post.

A minute later Town went in front. A move down the right-hand

side freed Jack Emmett in to space and his low ball across the six-yard area was

bundled home by Stead.

Molyneux was introduced alongside Tyler Hamilton with 15 minutes

remaining as Pools looked for a route back in to the game and it almost paid

dividends when some good football saw the ball land at Molyneux's feet but his

curling effort from the right of the area dropped wide.

Connor Hall came close to doubling Harrogate's lead eight

minutes from time when his low drive had Beeney scrambling but it scraped the

base of the post on its way wide.

Town saw the game out relatively comfortably though there

was a moment of concern right at the death when the struggled to clear a ball

in to the box but Kabamba's prodded effort was gratefully collected by keeper

James Belshaw.

Full Time: Pools0 Harrogate Town 1

Pools: Beeney, Kioso, Raynes (Molyneux 75), Liddle, Richardson, Featherstone, Holohan, Shelton (Hamilton 75), Donaldson, Toure (Kitching 46), Kabamba.
Subs not used: Kerr, Mafuta.

Booked: Toure.

Harrogate Town: Belshaw, Bradley, Hall, W Smith, Burrell, Falkingham, Kerry, Emmett (Kiernan 80), Diamond, Stead (Beck 77), Muldoon.
Subs not used: Cracknell, G Smith, Thomson.

Attendance: 3,481 (179 Harrogate).

Referee: Andrew Kitchen.

Advertisement block