Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Pools Come From Behind To Draw

29 February 2020

Match Reports

Pools Come From Behind To Draw

29 February 2020

Gime Toure lashed home his first goal since December and Ben

Killip saved a penalty as Pools came from behind to claim a point at Boreham

Wood on Saturday afternoon.

The French front man rifled in a leveller early in the

second half after Pools had fallen behind to Kabongo Tshimanga's opener in the

first minute of the game.

Dave Challinor's side were thankful to Killip's heroics when

he got down low to stop Sorba Thomas' weak penalty and help keep the score at 1-1

and protect the point.

Pools began with an unchanged starting eleven for the third

game in succession at Meadow Park against a side whom they are yet to taste

defeat against in five previous encounters.

However, having been beaten at Aldershot in midweek, Luke Garrard's

hosts were out of the traps quickly and forced a corner inside thirty seconds.

When Pools failed to fully clear, the ball was nodded back in to the area to

Matt Rhead – the flag stayed down and his header was brilliantly finger-tipped

on to the post by Killip only for Tshimanga to sweep home the rebound.

The early setback knocked Pools off-balance and they

struggled to gain a foothold in the opening ten minutes as the hosts continued

to apply pressure, particularly down the left flank.

With 15 minutes on the clock, Pools finally began to clear

their heads and could have been level after a good move down the left involving

Mark Kitching and Toure but Luke Molyneux's drive was blocked.

Kitching then let fly from distance but his shot flew too

high before Rob Harker turned neatly inside the area but his shot was deflected

on to the roof of the net.

There was a sloppy moment at the back for Pools when Killip's

clearance hit Gary Liddle on the back and fell for Tshimanga but this time the

front man's shot when straight at the keeper.

Boreham Wood could have doubled their advantage when Tyrone

Marsh nodded a corner just wide but Mark Shelton had a great chance to level

right on half-time when he ran on to Toure's cut back but fired a shot straight

at Nathan Ashmore in The Wood goal.

However, the ball was in the net within two minutes of the

restart when Toure got space on the left side of the penalty area and lashed an

unstoppable shot past Ashmore at his front post to make it all-square.

Just three minutes later and the home side had a golden chance

to recover their lead when the referee pointed to the penalty spot after the

ball struck Nicky Featherstone's hand – but Thomas' soft penalty was saved down

to his right by Killip.

Kane Smith thought he'd made it 2-1 when Pools didn't fully

clear a ball in to the box and wing-back smashed a powerful volley towards goal

which came back out off the bar.

There were strong appeals for a penalty at the other end

when Southam-Hales darted to the byline and appeared to be shoved over but this

time referee Hull was unmoved and waved play on.

There were half chances at both ends during a nervy finale

but Pools stood firm and picked up a creditable point on the road ahead of

another tough away assignment at Solihull Moors on Tuesday.

Full Time: Boreham Wood 1 Pools 1

Boreham Wood: Ashmore, Fyfield, Ilesnami, Champion, Ricketts, Smith, May, Thomas, Marsh, Rhead, Tshimanga (Shaibu 61).
Subs not used: G Smith, Stephens, Mingoia, Yussuf.

Booked: K Smith, Ricketts.

Pools: Killip, Southam-Hales, Liddle, Odusina, Kitching, Featherstone, Shelton, Donaldson, Molyneux (Hawkes 52), Toure, Harker (Holohan 70).
Subs: Anderson, Mafuta, Keena.

Booked: Southam-Hales.

Attendance: 932 (334 Pools)

Referee: Joe Hull.

Advertisement block