Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Pools Women Knocked Out Of FA Cup

28 October 2019

Match Reports

Pools Women Knocked Out Of FA Cup

28 October 2019

[vc_column_text h1_css="{.vc_customizer_1572264648842}" h2_css="{.vc_customizer_1572264648843}" h3_css="{.vc_customizer_1572264648844}" h4_css="{.vc_customizer_1572264648845}" h5_css="{.vc_customizer_1572264648846}" h6_css="{.vc_customizer_1572264648846}" p_css="{.vc_customizer_1572264648847}" link_css="{.vc_customizer_1572264648847}" list_css="{.vc_customizer_1572264648848}"]

Pools Women saw their FA Cup run ended in dramatic fashion on Sunday as they were beaten 8-0 by Chorley at East Durham College in Peterlee.

After defeating Yorkshire Amateur and Blackburn Community already this term, Jonathan Gibbon-Hayes side knew they were just one more win away from making the First Round Proper.

However, they came up against a Chorley outfit who showed why they play their football a division higher than Pools in the Women's National League.

Pools started the game with enthusiasm and were on the front foot in the opening stages, almost taking the lead when Caitlin Bates fired a left-foot shot towards the top corner from twenty yards but the Chorley keeper got across to tip it over the bar.

The visitors began to settle as the game wore on and they snatched the opening goal on the half-hour when the Chorley striker took advantage of a mishit clearance from Pools keeper Rebecca Smith to send home a fine finish from twenty yards.

Pools almost levelled immediately when a lovely touch round the corner from Jade Pye set Justine Robinson away down the right and her cross found Robyn Foster in the middle but the volleyed finish went agonisingly wide.

It proved a crucial moment because Chorley snatched an all-important second goal seven minutes before half-time when the impressive Beth Donoghue ran clear down the left and smashed the ball past Smith for 2-0.

Things began to unravel for Pools after the break as The Magpies helped themselves to a third goal five minutes after the restart before making it 4-0 on the hour.

Chorley were rampant after that and Pools had little in response, the visitors adding another four goals in the final twelve minutes make it 8-0 and underline their superiority.

“I feel like we were in the game in the first half,” said Gibbon-Hayes afterwards.

“But Chorley are a very good side and their number 9 was unbelievable today but we gave them the first two goals really, so that's disappointing.

“They were ruthless in the second half, particularly in the last twenty minutes. They were first to every first ball and second ball, it just wasn't our day.

“Their quality shone through so we wish them well for the next round.”

Full Time: Pools 0 Chorley 8

Pools: R Smith, Bartlett, Stuart, Skull, Garside, Rowbotham (Robson 69), Ingram, Foster (Portas 69), Robinson, Pye (Gutcher 62), Bates.
Subs not used: Hampson, Hammond-Garrington, Lambert, A Smith.

Advertisement block