Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Youth Team Beaten By Guiseley

21 November 2019

Match Reports

Youth Team Beaten By Guiseley

21 November 2019

Pools Youth Team slipped to a disappointing home defeat on Wednesday afternoon as Guiseley took all three points away from the NLFA contest in Blackhall.

Ian McGuckin's side were leading in the game thanks to Jay

Gibson's early goal but the visitors battled their way back in to it and were

level at the break before snatching a winner midway through the second half.

Pools started the game on the front foot and began probing

at the Guiseley defence in the early stages, looking to find a way through for

the opening goal.

The breakthrough arrived on 16 minutes when some slick

football on the edge of the area freed Gibson, who drove through on goal and

slipped it past the keeper neatly to make it 1-0.

That should have been the cue for Pools to go and take the

game by the scruff of the neck but instead it was the visitors who grew in confidence

during a competitive encounter.

The equaliser came after some good work down the right hand

side of the penalty area and, when the ball was delivered back across goal,

Rafael Ferreira nodded home from close range.

Aaron Willoughby almost restored Pools' lead in spectacular

fashion before half-time when he let fly with a drive from thirty yards but it

cannoned back off the bar with the keeper beaten.

The game was becoming more of a battle as time wore on with

tackles more plentiful than clear-cut chances though Guiseley did stab wide

from a decent opening not long in to the second half.

The decisive goal arrived on 68 minutes when Pools only partially cleared a ball across goal and when it was flung back in to the area it was met by Haroon Bostan whose header found the bottom corner.

Pools pressed to try and find a leveller in the closing

stages and there was a big chance for substitute Joe Grey who shot straight at

the keeper, while Aaron Webster wriggled through to fire on goal right at the

death only to also be denied by the Guiseley shot-stopper.

“We're obviously disappointed," said McGuckin.

“I thought it was quite evenly fought in terms of possessionand neither side really carved out that many blatant chances.

“Fair play to Guiseley, they ground it out. I thought we

were winning the battle in the second half but once again we've conceded a goal

and that left us with too much to do.”

Full Time: Pools 1 Guiseley 2

Pools: Lowerson, James, Naisbett, Pilling, Webster, Campbell, Sturdy, Shepherd, Willoughby, Chapman (Grey 64), Gibson.
Subs not used: Thompson, Wilson.

Advertisement block