Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Sensational Pools Storm Through In Cup

12 November 2019

Match Reports

Sensational Pools Storm Through In Cup

12 November 2019

Dave Challinor enjoyed a dream debut in the dugout as Pools

ran riot at Yeovil Town on Tuesday night to storm in to the Second Round of the

FA Cup.

The Pools boss couldn't have failed to be impressed as he

watched his new side roar back from the setback of conceding an early goal to

run out 4-1 winners with a sensational Somerset showing.

Challinor opted to name an unchanged line-up for his first

game in charge, though he was boosted by the return of Gime Toure to the

substitutes' bench following a hand operation.

It was an awful start for Pools as the home side went in front

with little over two minutes on the clock – the visitors caught cold as a cross

from the right was only partially cleared and Lawson D'Ath rammed home a low

drive beyond Ben Killip.

However, if any Yeovil fans were expecting it to be easy against

a Pools side who had spent the majority of the day on a coach then they were

soon put right because Challinor's men were level within three minutes.

A free-kick from the halfway line was driven forward by Gus

Mafuta and it ricocheted kindly for James just inside the area and the front

man seized on the loose ball, ramming a clinical finish across keeper Stuart

Nelson and in off the far post.

The Glovers immediately streamed forward again and Jimmy

Smith's cross found Rhys Murphy in space in the middle but he directed his

first time finish just wide.

Killip then had to be at his best as the hosts looked set to

go back in front when a deep cross to the far post found Smith and his firm

header was brilliantly clawed away by the Pools stopper.

It proved a vital moment because on 20 minutes Pools hit the

front. A wonderful clipped ball from Fraser Kerr dropped on to the foot of

James who exquisitely controlled before spinning to tee up the arriving Holohan

and the Irishman drilled a beautiful finish in to the top corner for 2-1.

It could have been 3-1 five minutes later when an inswinging

corner from the right was met by Michael Raynes but his header fell just wide

of the far post.

There was an even better opportunity for Nicke Kabamba just

before the half-hour when Mark Kitching's whipped free-kick from the right

found the striker but he headed just past the post.

Rhys Murphy nicked the ball from Pools on the halfway line

to run through on goal and pull the trigger but Killip again stood tall to pull

of a superb save and protect the lead.

Ryan Donaldson fizzed a low ball across the goal which

Kabamba just couldn't connect with before there was another chance for the

front man just before the break but his shot was blocked.

Town came out with the bit between their teeth at the start

of the second period as they looked for a route back in to the game but Pools

continued to carry a threat on the break and almost made it 3-1 on 54 minutes

only for Donaldson to hit the keeper with his shot.

At the other end Murphy came close to a spectacular leveller

when the ball sat up nicely for him twenty yards out but the front man volleyed

just too high.

Challinor responded by throwing Luke Williams in to the fray

and he was involved as Pools swept forward to score their third of the night. The

ball was worked right to Donaldson who laid it back to Peter Kioso and his brilliant

whipped cross picked out Kabamba at the far post who headed it back across the

keeper and in to the corner of the net.

Donaldson and Kabamba could then both have notched a fourth,

while Town substitute Courtney Duffus fired over from the edge of the box as

the home side pressed forward.

However, their odds became larger on 69 minutes when centre-back

Luke Wilkinson lunged in on James as he scampered clear on the break – the defender

was practically down the tunnel before the referee could dig out the second

yellow card and the hosts were down to ten.

There was an extraordinary moment ten minutes from time when

Murphy drilled a shot across goal and Duffus somehow managed to spoon it up and

over the bar from no more than a yard out.

Pools made the most of the let-off and extended their lead minutes

later when substitute Gime Toure raced clear and jinked around keeper Nelson

who brought him down – the Frenchman leapt back to his feet and converted the

penalty to make it 4-1.

Dreamland for Challinor and for the 101 travelling Pools fans

to whom this win surely belongs after many of them made a costly quick-fire return

trip to Somerset to cheer the lads to victory.

Full Time: Yeovil Town 1 Pools 4

Yeovil Town: Nelson, Hippolyte, Collins, Wilkinson, Hutton, Lee, D'Ath, Worthington (Tilley 60), Smith (Omatayo 82), Dagnall (Duffus 60), Murphy.
Subs not used: Rogers, Skendi, Bradbury, McCoy.

Booked: Hippolyte, D'Ath, Tilley.

Sent-off: Wilkinson.

Pools: Killip, Kioso, Kerr, Raynes, Kitching (Richardson 90+2), Mafuta, Featherstone, Holohan (Williams 56), Donaldson, James, Kabamba (Toure 70).
Subs not used: Cunningham, Kennedy, Hawkes, Muir.

Booked: Holohan, Featherstone, Toure.

Attendance: 2,361 (101 Poolies).

Referee: C Brook.

Advertisement block