Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Pools Beat Darlington In Durham Challenge Cup

22 January 2019

Josh Hawkes Tom Banks
Josh Hawkes slots home the winning goal at Darlington

Lewis Hawkins and Josh Hawkes both scored as Pools came from behind to win at Darlington on Tuesday night and extend their run in the Durham County Challenge Cup.

John Hewitson and Ian McGuckin took charge of the side but they were behind for a large part of the game before a quick-fire double inside the last ten minutes turned the tie on its head and sent Pools through.

Pools began with more confidence and quickly started knocking the ball around, creating the first opening when Josh Hawkes found space on the edge of the box but his left-footed drive was well saved and Niko Muir’s follow-up flew too high.

However, the home side settled as time went on and stole the lead on 14 minutes when a sweeping move saw the ball fed in to the box from the left and, when keeper Ryan Catterick parried it out to the six-yard line, it was drilled in to the net by Stephen Thompson.

Catterick had to be alert to produce a smart save a couple of minutes later as Jordan Nicholson stung his palms with a well-struck shot from the edge of the area.

There was a half-chance for Harvey Saunders when he was sent away in to the box down the left but he hurried his shot and flashed it well wide of the target.

Muir could have made it 1-1 when he got on the end of a lovely move involving Hawkes and Lewis Hawkins but his low shot was excellently blocked by keeper Maddison with his feet.

There was an early opening for Pools in the second half when a slick move freed Hawkes on the right of the area but his drive was deflected over by a recovering Darlington defender.

The hosts responded well and could have scored their second when Thompson let fly from twenty yards but Catterick got across to his left to palm the shot round the post.

Nicholson was next to try his luck for Darlington when he found an angle to shoot low from the edge of the box but Catterick reacted quickly to parry and Saunders fired the rebound in to the side-netting from a tight angle.

Catterick produced more fine work to deny Nicholson when he cut in from the right and sent a curler towards the top corner which was brilliantly clawed round the post by the young keeper before Smith hit the bar from the resultant corner.

Mark Kitching wriggled in from the left to have a shot on goal but it lacked the power to trouble Maddison and he was able to gather the low strike easily.

Pools began to push forward more as the final quarter-hour approached and were almost caught on the counter when Saunders raced clear but Catterick came out quickly to smother at the Darlington player’s feet.

The Pools equaliser arrived on 82 minutes when the ball was swung in by Amos from the left and Hawkins rose highest to power a header in to the net off the underside of the bar.

There was hardly time for the Pools celebrations to die down before they went in front, Josh Hawkes seizing on a mistake at the back to slot the ball in to the bottom corner and make it 2-1 and win the tie.

Full Time: Darlington 1 Pools 2

Darlington: Maddison, Trotman, O’Hanlon (Henshall 16), Smith, Ainge, Galbraith (Burn 46), Elliott, Wheatley (Glover 49), Saunders, Thompson, Nicholson.
Subs not used: Hall, Lingthep.

Pools: Catterick, Kioso, Cunningham, Amos, Miller, Hawkins, McLaughlin, Newton, Kitching, Hawkes, Muir.
Subs not used: Boyle, Fox, Shepherd, Leonard, Rennison.

Booked: Miller (37).

Attendance: 1,758 (139 Pools).

Advertisement block