Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

FA Trophy Defeat For Pools

12 January 2019

Pools were knocked out of the FA Trophy this afternoon after falling to a 2-1 defeat to AFC Telford United.

There was a goal in each half from the visitors, who worked Richard Money's side hard all afternoon and took the win to progress into the next round of the competition. Myles Anderson grabbed a late consolation for Pools but the 93rd-minute effort proved nothing more. 

The game didn’t get off to the best start for Pools as the visitors broke forward to take the lead after just seven minutes.

Daniel Udoh crossed a ball in from the left that made its way through to Amari Morgan-Smith who put it past Scott Loach from close range.

Pools took a few minutes to recover from the goal but did start to see more of the ball, with Mark Kitching getting down the left to whip a decent cross into the box, which forced the defender to head over the bar.

But with 17 minutes on the clock, Telford should have been 2-0 up as another good link-up between Udoh and Morgan-Smith following a slip at the back by Pools saw them break into the box. But with Udoh hesitating before taking his shot, Nicky Featherstone was able to get back and clear the danger.

Ryan Donaldson pulled the first real save of the game from visiting keeper Andrew Wycherley as he fired in a powerful low freekick, which sailed through the area but was held at the near post by the keeper.

There was a chance for Luke James to get Pools a much-needed leveller before the break when he was fed the ball by Niko Muir after good work down the left but James saw his effort go high.

The visitors were organised and worked their game plan well, sending the long ball up to the front two of Morgan-Smith and Udoh who were both a real handful for the Pools backline.

Telford were also very confident in their approach, highlighted with an ambitious effort from Brendon Daniels who took a punt at goal from a wide left position, sending the ball just over the bar.

And it was the visitors who finished the first half on top, with Pools needing to find a way back into the game in the second forty-five minutes.

Money made a couple of changes at half time, bringing Anderson and Hawkes on and switching to three at the back as he looked to find a way to deal with the threat from the visitors.

Pools had work to do at the back early in the second half as Morgan-Smith saw his shot at goal cleared off the line by Danny Amos.

At the other end, Luke James went agonisingly close to getting the equaliser for Pools as he smashed an effort at goal that hit against the woodwork, bouncing down off the underside of the bar before the visitors were able to clear.

On 67 minutes, Telford grabbed a second goal after Shane Sutton saw his headed effort put onto the post by Loach, Daniel Udoh was quickest to react as he arrived to fire the loose ball into the back of the net.

Pools saw much more of the ball in the remaining minutes but it was the visitors who looked more like scoring, with Udoh going closest with a shot across goal that scraped wide of the far post.

Amos had a hopeful shot late in the game for Pools to finish off a decent move but his shot from a wide angle went over the bar. 

Myles Anderson headed home a 93rd-minute consolation for Pools but there was no time left as the game finished in defeat and exit from this year's FA Trophy. 

Full Time: Pools 1 AFC Telford United 2

Attendance: 1920 (95 AFC Telford United)

Booked: Donaldson (90)

Pools: Loach, Richardson (Hawkes 46), Rodgers, Magnay, Amos, Donaldson, Featherstone, McLaughlin (Kioso 58), James, Muir, Kitching (Anderson 46).
Subs Not Used: Catterick, Scott.

AFC Telford United: Wycherley, White, Deeney, Royle, Sutton, Streete, Barnett (McQuilkin 63), Daniels (Morley 81), Morgan-Smith, Udoh (Brown 88), Knights.
Subs Not Used: Cowans, Barnes-Homer.

Advertisement block