Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Good Friday Victory For Pools

19 April 2019

Match Reports

Good Friday Victory For Pools

19 April 2019

Pools took all three points from this Good Friday meeting with FC Halifax Town at The Super 6 Stadium.

Despite once again falling behind in the game - this time to a goal from former Pools man Devante Rodney - Craig Hignett's side came back through goals from Luke James and Luke Molyneux to take the win. 

Pools had the first chance of the game after just a couple of minutes as Gavan Holohan picked out Nicke Kabmaba with a cross into the box but the striker sent his header over the bar.

The lively Manny Duku had the first effort for the visitors on ten minutes as he curled a shot at goal that dipped just wide of the far post.

Luke James showed great skill to dribble a ball across the area before turning and shooting just over the bar as Pools showed promise going forward.

But it was a slip at the back that lead to the opening goal of the afternoon lost possession on the edge of his own area to allow the visitors in and, when the ball was squared to former Poolie Devante Rodney in the middle of the area, the big striker made no mistake with a confident strike past Loach and into the net.

And Halifax went close to making it 2-0 shortly after as Cameron King whipped a shot across the box that went just narrowly wide of the post.

Pools continued with their positive approach at the other end as a determined run by Holohan saw his final shot blocked by the defender, before the midfielder was set up by good work by Kioso only to see his chipped effort tipped over by Sam Johnson.

Luke Molyneux suffered the same fate with his decent effort from 30 yards, but had more success with his next involvement as he turned provider for Luke James.

Molyneux sent a cross in from the right that was met by James, who took the perfect touch to flick it past Johnson and into the bottom far corner to make it 1-1.

Pools looked bright going forward and had chances to take the lead before the break; a strong move down the right started by Molyneux set Donaldson running to the byline, where he pulled it back for Kioso in the box but the defender's touch found the keeper.

Kioso had another chance late in the half as he hit one into the side netting following good link-up play from James and Molyneux.

After finishing the first half all square, Pools took less than ten minutes of the second to take the lead as Holohan fed a great ball through to Molyneux in plenty of space inside the box and he made no mistake as he sent the ball past Johnson to make it 2-1.

The visitors enjoyed their own spell of possession following the goal and Pools had a bit more work to do at the other end of the pitch. But for all they saw of the ball, Halifax failed to test Scott Loach during this spell.

Fullarton's side won a couple of freekicks on the edge of the area around the 70 minute mark and, while the first from Matty Kosylo deflected up high off the wall, the second was sent high over the bar by Rodney.

Kosylo was pulling the strings for the visitors in this second half, as they continued to dominate possession, with few real chances on goal coming at either end.

Rodney broke through in added time to rush in towards goal but Scott Loach came out to intercept and cleared the danger in what was the final real action of the game as Pools ran out winners. 

Full Time: Pools 2 FC Halifax Town 1 

Attendance: 3018 (178 FC Halifax Town)

Pools: Loach, Kioso, Edgar, Kerr, Anderson, Holohan (Noble 75), Featherstone, Donaldson, Molyneux (Bale 89), James, Kabamba.
Subs Not Used: Catterick, Muir, Amos.

FC Halifax Town: Johnson, Clarke, Brown, Staunton, Kosylo, King, Berrett, Duku (Gondoh 66), Rodney, Skarz, Hanson (Freedman 72).
Subs Not Used: Preston, Rowley, Quigley.

Advertisement block