Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

2017/18 Season Review: October

31 May 2018

Nicky Deverdics Mark Fletcher (Shutter Press)
Nicky Deverdics celebrates his goal against Tranmere Rovers

Our review of the last campaign reaches October and Pools finally start to show some more consistency on the pitch.

The new month started with the draw for the FA Cup and Pools were handed an intriguing Fourth Round Qualifying tie away at ambitious South Shields.

Craig Harrison also moved to boost his attacking options with the arrival of a new attacker in the shape of Tomi Adeloye, who had impressed during a short trial period.

The opening game of October was a home meeting with Barrow and the visitors gave as good as they got at The Vic before Michael Woods nodded in a dramatic injury time winner to secure three points.

Harrison’s men were hoping to follow that up when they made their first-ever trip to Solihull Moors the following weekend – it was Non League Day and The Moors attracted their record attendance for the visit of Pools.

It looked as though the spoils were going to be shared when Rhys Oates’ second half strike was cancelled out by Darren Carter’s late penalty but then Jonathan Franks popped up to snatch another late goal to cue wild celebrations at the full-time whistle.

News came during the week that Ryan Donaldson would need an operation on the ankle injury he sustained during the win over Barrow and that would keep him sidelined well in to the New Year.

FA Cup fever gripped The Vic as fans queued through the night to make sure they got their hands on tickets for the trip to South Shields and Pools were cheered on by a large travelling support at Mariners Park.

They did it the hard way in making the next round though, falling behind in the first half before second half strikes from Devante Rodney and Nicky Deverdics secured safe passage against The Mariners.

The reward for that victory was a trip to League Two Morecambe in the next round though Pools had league action to worry about first as Sutton United arrived at The Vic.

Harrison’s side were showing more encouraging form and looked on course for another win when Rhys Oates netted just before the break. However, the visitors hit back right at the death through Tommy Wright and Pools had to be content with a point.

Tranmere Rovers were next up at The Vic three days later and again Pools went in front – this time through a sensational free-kick from Nicky Deverdics. But for the second game in succession they were left frustrated as Rovers snatched a point thanks to Jay McEveley’s leveller.

Before the game with Tranmere the Club was able to mark the anniversary of Michael Maidens’ untimely death with a new permanent tribute to the former midfielder in the Maidens’ Suite.

October finished with one of the longest journeys of the season and Pools looked a little leggy during the opening 45 minutes against Torquay United at Plainmoor. However, the hosts missed their chances and Pools took advantage with a powerful display after the break – goals from Rhys Oates and Michael Woods securing the three points.

National League Table







Match Reports
Pools 1 Barrow 0
Solihull Moors 1 Pools 2
South Shields 1 Pools 2
Pools 1 Sutton United 1
Pools 1 Tranmere Rovers 1
Torquay United 0 Pools 2

Advertisement block