Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Pools Pick Up Point At Chester

23 January 2018

Michael Woods Mark Fletcher, Shutter Press
Michael Woods scored for Pools at Chester.

Michael Woods scored for Pools as they picked up a point from this evening's match at the Swansway Chester Stadium.

Woods opened the scoring for Pools just after an hour had been played but Chester equalised on 77 minutes and the game 

Pools had a strong start to the game and played the better of the football in the first half, but it was the hosts who went closest to opening the scoring.

Lewis Hakwins had the first half-chance of the game when he latched onto a cross from Carl Magnay to flick an effort at goal but the effort was held by Sam Hornby in the Chester goal.

Craig Mahon had the first chance for the hosts on 15 minutes when he tried a shot from distance but it curled wide of Scott Loach’s right-hand post.

Louis Laing came to the rescue for Pools as he lunged to get a toe in on Harry White who was preparing a shot on goal.

Pools played some good football in the first half and there was a chance to take the lead mid-way through the half when Nicky Deverdics and Featherstone combined to play the ball through for Jake Cassidy to run in but he was denied by the defender who intercepted to put it out for a corner.

Ryan Astles should have given his side the lead when he arrived unmarked to meet a cross into the box but sent his header wide, while Devante Rodney caused problems at the other end.

The big striker unleashed a real rocket shot on goal from distance which forced Hornby into a save at full-stretch.

Scott Loach made a succession of great saves for Pools to keep it level going into the break; the Pools stopper tipped one over the bar, blocked another with his feet from James Jones and then pulled off a great save to deny Kingsley James.

The second half continued in a similar style, with Pools playing the better of football and Chester the more direct.

Devante Rodney did well to steal possession and force his way into the box but with the defender between him and goal, James Jones put in a great tackle to clear the danger.

Pools had a good spell mid-way through the half and pressed the hosts back, winning a string of corners and forcing the home defenders into action.

And this time the possession paid off for Pools, with the opening goal arriving on 62 minutes; great determination from Jake Cassidy in the box opened things up and when the ball found its way to Woods, he was able to simply tap home to make it 1-0.

Chester went close to drawing level shortly after with a break upfield – it was James who had the effort with a header on goal but he flashed it just wide on 66 minutes.

Lewis Hawkins had another effort for Pools, sending a shot in from distance that was saved by the Chester keeper and it was then Chester who got the next goal.

Harry White forced his was past two challenges to get into the box and send a strike past Loach to make it 1-1 on 77 minutes.  

Tomi Adeloye replaced Rodney just after 80 minutes and created a great chance for himself to re-take the lead for Pools; the striker showed good pace to burst into the box, rounded the keeper but was forced too wide by the defender to get a final shot in.

Jake Cassidy had another shot as Pools kept looking for that second goal but, after good work by the striker, his shot was held by the keeper.

Pools finished the game the stronger but could not find the next goal and the game finished all square. 

Full Time: Chester 1 Pools 1

Booked: Laing

Attendance: 1421

Chester: Hornby, Halls, Rowe-Turner, James, Astles, Mahon, White, Dawson (Archer 66), Jones, Akintunde, Crawford.
Subs Not Used: Lynch, McCombe, Joyce, Brown. 

Pools: Loach, Magnay, Donnelly, Laing, Adams, Featherstone, Woods, Hawkins, Deverdics, Cassidy, Rodney (Adeloye 82).
Subs Not Used: Harrison, Hawkes, Newton, Munns.

Advertisement block