Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Defeat For Pools At The Vic

20 January 2018

Nicky Deverdics Mark Fletcher, Shutter Press

Pools lost out 2-0 to Wrexham at Victoria Park this afternoon in front of an impressive crowd of 6833 supporters.

The visitors got two second-half goals through Scott Quigley to take all three points from the National League fixture. 

The first half was a familiar story for Pools who dominated possession, while it was Wrexham who looked the more dangerous going forward.

With a large crowd inside The Vic and a lively atmosphere, there was an added bite on the pitch as both teams put in some strong challenges early on.

Scott Loach was called into action after six minutes as Scott Boden got in to shoot on goal but the Pools keeper reacted well to tip it around the post. Boden got up to meet a cross into the area but sent his effort just wide shortly after.

Pools were allowed little time on the ball as Wrexham closed down quickly and Harrison’s side were forced to work hard for every move.

Liam Donnelly, back in the centre of defence this afternoon, showed real bravery to throw himself between two red shirts to force a shot wide as the visitors threatened.

Pools had a couple of half chances late in the first half; Loach set the first one away with a great throw up field to Nicky Deverdics on the right. He in turn spotted Rodney and sent the ball over with a neat ball with the outside of the boot but the Wrexham defender just got in the way to stop the striker getting a shot in.

Deverdics was back on the attack shortly after, crossing in from the right for Rodney at the far post but the big forward just couldn’t get up to meet the ball.

Scott Quigley should have scored for the visitors late in the half when he went through with just Loach to beat but the Welsh side’s new signing scuffed his shot, allowing the Pools keeper to send it wide.

Wrexham came out brightest after the break and Pools had some early defending to do once again. Scott Loach got up well in a crowd to tip an effort out for a corner as the visitors looked to take advantage of their early pressure.

Liam Donnelly went closest for Pools 53 minutes as he picked up a Jake Cassidy knock-down inside the box to send a volley at goal, which had the keeper beat but hit the crossbar and stayed out.

And just two minutes later, the visitors were ahead; Quigley capitalised on a slip from Blair Adams to push on into the area and send a shot across Loach and into the bottom far corner of the net to make it 1-0.

A Deverdics corner from the right was just touched wide by Dunn under pressure from Magnay as Pools looked to hit back and put a strong spell of pressure on the Wrexham box.

And Pools did put a decent period of possession together, looking more dangerous and putting some pressure on the Wrexham penalty area, with the visitors struggling to get out of their own half.

Lewis Hawkins fired a strike in from distance which went just over the bar as Pools enjoyed their best spell of the game.

But with everyone focused on the attack for Pools, Wrexham executed the perfect counter, with Quigley on the end of it to make it 2-0 on 72 minutes.

And so despite a bit more pressure in the second half, Pools were again undone and could not find enough to break through the visiting defence and the game finished in defeat.

Full Time: Pools 0 Wrexham 2

Attendance: 6833 (421 Wrexham)

Booked: Deverdics (6), Hawkins (14)

Pools: Loach, Magnay, Donnelly, Laing, Adams, Featherstone (Adeloye 81), Woods, Deverdics, Hawkins, Cassidy, Rodney.
Subs Not Used: Catterick, Harrison, Hawkes, Newton.

Wrexham: Dunn, Jennings, M Smith, Pearson, Wedgbury, Quigley (Wright 77), Holroyd, Rutherford, Kelly, Roberts, Boden (Hurst 89).
Subs Not Used: Mackreth, Dibble, L Smith.

Advertisement block