Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Pools Beaten By The Daggers

6 January 2018

Pools winless run extended to eight games as Dagenham & Redbridge took the points with a 4-2 triumph at Victoria Road on Saturday.

Craig Harrison’s men found themselves a goal down after the hosts dominated the opening period but came back in to it early in the second half only to be undone by more poor defending.

The hosts looked to get on the front foot from the off and defender Kevin Lokko had the game’s first chance but he was stretching for a right-wing corner and headed it wide of the far post.

The dangerous Fejiri Okenabirhie did well to run in to space on the right fringe of the area and set up Michael Cheek but the front man’s low strike was blocked by Keith Watson.

There was a let-off for Pools when a searching cross from the right was nodded off his own crossbar by Michael Ledger, who did well to recover the situation and head the rebound away from trouble.

Okenabirhie was the key man for the Daggers and he headed an Andre Boucaud cross wide of the target before then forcing a good save from Scott Loach with a low drive which had the Pools keeper reacting quickly down to his left.

Pools were looking dangerous at times on the counter-attack, particularly when Lewis Hawkins charged through the middle to set-up Jonathan Franks but the forward lost his footing at the crucial time and the home side were able to clear.

Watson had to block another Okenabirhie effort just after, while the Daggers dangerman did have the ball in the net when he got on the end of a flowing move only to see the goal ruled out for offside.

However, six minutes before the break Okenabirhie did create the opening goal when he cleverly found space on the right of the area before drilling a ball across for Danny Sparkes to sweep home from close range.

Devante Rodney was introduced for the second half and he made an immediate impression to win a corner after ten seconds which was delivered on to the head of Liam Donnelly but Kevin Lokko cleared off the line.

A minute later Jake Cassidy though he’d made it 1-1 when he made a perfect contact with Nicky Deverdics’ inswinging free-kick from the right only for Mark Cousins to make an incredible flying save to his right.

Pools were well on top but Cheek gave them something to think about when he twice broke away on the counter-attack but failed to fully test keeper Scott Loach.

And just before the hour mark Harrison’s men got their breakthrough. Cassidy flicked a ball on in behind and Franks scurried on to it on the right of the area before digging out a wonderful cross to the far post for Michael Woods to nod home the equaliser.

However, all the hard work was for nothing when the Daggers retook the lead six minutes later, taking advantage of some sloppy defending as Pools failed to clear their lines and when Loach saved Cheek’s first header, the big striker was there first to ram in the rebound for 2-1.

Pools did attempt to rally but the game was up on 79 minutes when yet more poor play at the back saw the ball drop at the feet of Okenabirhie and he prodded a clever finish through legs and in to the bottom corner of the net.

It was 4-1 three minutes later when substitute Morgan Ferrier drove to the byline on the right before delivering a low ball in to the back post where Sparkes slid in his second of the game.

Pools pulled one back when Woods nodded home a right wing cross and Franks could even have made it 4-3 at the death when he drove through a pocket of defenders only to see his shot cleared off the line.

Full Time: Dagenham & Redbridge 4 Pools 2

Dagenham & Redbridge: Cousins, Robson, Robinson, Howell (Ferrier 66), Okenabirhie, Sparkes (Doe 90), Boucaud, Lokko, Ling, Cheek, Howells.
Subs not used: Moore, Kandi, Whitely.

Booked: Ferrier.

Pools: Loach, Magnay, Ledger, Watson, Deverdics, Hawkins (Laing 87), Woods, Donnelly, Adams (Rodney 46), Cassidy, Franks.
Subs not used: Catterick, Munns, Newton.

Booked: Donnelly (38), Cassidy (67), Rodney (90).

Advertisement block