Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Point For Pools In Money's First Home Game

22 December 2018

Richard Money saw his Pools side pick up a point in his first game as Manager at The Super 6 Stadium.

Liam Noble's first-half strike cancelled out the visitor's opener to make it 1-1 and, despite chances for both sides in a lively game, neither found a second goal. 

Pools had the first chance of the game on ten minutes when Liam Noble picked up possession in a good position inside the box before squaring to Niko Muir who saw his shot through a crowd held by former Pools man Ben Dudzinski in the visiting goal.

The visitors were quickly in action at the other end to try their luck for the first time, with Theo Lewis picking up a great ball in from the left to fire a shot on goal but his effort took a deflection and went just wide.

Just a minute later though and Havant & Waterlooville were ahead; a low shot from Tyler Frost lacked power but made up for that with precision as it beat Scott Loach, hit the post and rolled in over the line to make it 1-0 to the visitors.

It took Pools less than ten minutes to find an equaliser and it came from Liam Noble who battled away inside the box to find his spot and send a low effort past Dudzinski and into the far corner of the net.

Luke James showed great pace to burst forward, beat the defence and fire in on goal but his shot went narrowly wide of the post.

Good work down the left by Mark Kitching set up the next chance for Pools, with the ball played out to Ryan Donaldson on the edge of the box but he saw his powerful blast got just over the bar.

The teams went in all square at the break but Pools had shown promise in the first half and came out brightly for the second.

A corner on 48 minutes eventually found skipper Andrew Davies at the far post but his volleyed effort went over the bar.

After a stoppage in play for treatment to visiting player Alfie Rutherford, Pools were back on the attack as Noble set up Muir on the edge of the box but the striker saw his snapshot find the hands of Dudzinski.

The visitors went on to enjoy a strong spell of possession of their own around the hour mark, keeping hold of the ball and making Pools chase it down.

Money’s side were patient though and they took their chances to break; a Mark Kitching run down the left lead to a corner for Pools but when McLaughlin delivered to the far post, Davies saw his header held this time by Dudzinski.

A surging run by Donaldson created the next chance for Pools as he played in Noble who put it back into the area for McLaughlin to set up Muir. The striker turned neatly to fire a shot in but again Dudzinski held the ball.

Pools had a narrow escape at the other end as a cross from the left sailed across the area, somehow escaping the attention of two Hawks forwards, while Scott Loach pulled off a decent save with his feet to deny Tarbuck just after.

There was another chance for Muir on 74 minutes after a good run down the right from James; James played the ball into the area for his strike partner but Muir just couldn’t get the power on his shot and the keeper collected it.

Pools were upping the pressure now and seeing much more of the ball inside the final third, with sub Josh Hawkes giving a new energy going forward.

The young midfielder tested the keeper with a drive from the edge of the box and while Dudzinski spilled the effort at first, he was able to gather before anyone followed up.

At the other end, Scott Loach made a good save to deny Nicke Kabamba from close range before Pools return to the attack, throwing everything at the Hawks’ goal in search of a winner. But a combination of Noble, Muir and Hawkes all saw shots blocked before the visitors were able to clear.

While the first half had seen a number of stoppages for injuries to the visitors, the second half was increasingly stop/start as the visiting medical staff spent plenty of time on the pitch treating the men in yellow – the six minutes of added time a reflection of just that.

Niko Muir dragged a shot just wide of the near post as Pools looked to capitalise on the added time but there were no more goals and the game finished all square.  

Full Time: Pools 1 Havant & Waterlooville 1

Attendance: 3024 (20 Havant & Waterlooville)

Pools: Loach, Magnay,  Rodgers (Richardson 46), Davies, Kitching, Featherstone (Hawkes 73), McLaughlin, Noble, Donaldson, Muir, James (Newton 81).
Subs Not Used: Hawkins, Anderson.

Havant & Waterlooville: Dudzinski, Strugnell, Williams, Stock (Hall 44), Harris, Lewis (Tarbuck 46), Kabamba, Robinson, Rutherford (Wood 54), Cordner, Frost.
Subs Not Used: Woodford, Bradley.

Advertisement block