Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Late Goal Sees Pools Lose Out

7 April 2018

Jake Cassidy Mark Fletcher (Shutter Press)
Jake Cassidy in action against Solihull Moors

Pools were once again beaten by a late sucker-punch as Solihull Moors scored on 88 minutes to take the win.

The visitors had been on top for much of the game, with Pools left to rely on the counter attack for their chances on goal. 

But with Matthew Bates's side having looked to have secured a point, Adi Yussuf pounced from a corner to give his side a 1-0 lead with just two minutes of normal time remaining. 

The visitors had their first shot on goal after just two minutes through the lively Adi Yussuf but he was denied by Scott Loach who got down to fingertip the effort wide.

After weathering an early storm, Pools did have the ball in the back of the net on 13 minutes with their first real attack. It was a rapid break up field started by Conor Newton, who fed it up for Michael Woods before Rhys Oates joined from the right. But Woods’ final effort was ruled out for offside.

Josh Hawkes tried a speculative effort from distance that went just wide of the post as Pools enjoyed a brief spell of pressure in a tough 45 minutes.

The visitors were quickly back in action at the other end as Scott Loach pulled off another good save to deny Jamie Reckford.

Solihull Moors stopped Pools from playing their game for much of the half, with Loach by far the busier of the two keepers.

And the Pools stopper was called into action again just after the half-hour mark as he blocked well from Yussuf who had broke into the box from the left.

Jake Cassidy picked out Michael Woods in the area but the midfielder’s shot was easy for Max O’Leary in the visiting goal, while Cassidy showed a great turn and shot on the edge of the box but saw his effort go wide.

Fiacre Kelleher should have given his side the lead on 30 minutes as he arrived at full stretch to meet a Darren Carter freekick into the box. But from almost underneath the crossbar, Kelleher somehow sent his shot over target.

Pools could perhaps count themselves fortunate to go in all square at the break but they came out brighter in the second half.

Conor Newton sent an early shot wide, Jack Cassidy saw his cross into the box from the by-line cleared out, while Oates saw his ball in from the other wide also blocked out.

The visitors remained a threat going forward, passing the ball about neatly and forcing Pools back and with fifteen minutes of the second half gone, they were back on top.

Hawkes went closest for Pools on 71 minutes as he fired a great effort in from 25 yards out, which beat the keeper but was kept out by the crossbar as the ball crashed against the woodwork.

Adi Yussuf was back on the attack for the visitors on 75 minutes but after setting off for goal with only Loach in his sights, the striker sent his effort wide of the post under big pressure from Laing and Magnay chasing back.

Solihull Moors were denied by the crossbar just after as sub Omari Sterling-James got in to fire on goal but watched as his shot bounced on the bar and went over.

Yussuf got his goal for the visitors on 88 minutes when a corner in from the right picked him up at the near post and he volleyed in from close range to make it 1-0 and take the win for his team. 

Full Time: Pools 0 Solihull Moors 1

Attendance: 2782 (62 Solihull Moors)

Booked: Cassidy (73), Woods (87), Hawkins (90)

Pools: Loach, Hawkins, Laing, Magnay, Adams, Featherstone, Woods, Newton (Donaldson 69), Hawkes, Cassidy, Oates (Rodney 69).
Subs Not Used: Catterick, Munns, Owen.

Solihull Moors: O’Leary, Carter, Williams, Storer, Yussuf, Hylton (Carline 90), Thomas (Reid 75), Reckord, Daly, Kelleher, Osborne (Sterling-James 75).
Subs Not Used: Green, Lait.

Advertisement block