Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Pools Battle For Point At Wrexham

12 September 2017

Rhys Oates Mark Fletcher (Shutter Press)
Rhys Oates in action against Wrexham

Pools stretched their unbeaten run to with a hard-earned point at Wrexham this evening.

With the game played out in swirling wind and rain, conditions were tough but Craig Harrison's side put in another battling display to earn a point at the Racecourse Ground. 

Wrexham got the first shot of the game in after seven minutes as Akil Wright sent an effort towards Scott Loach from the edge of the area, which took a big deflection that took it out for  a corner.

At the opposite end, Nicky Deverdics sent a well-delivered freekick into the box that picked out Rhys Oates but the striker saw his header go over the nar.

After a scrappy start to the game, Pools enjoyed a spell of pressure mid-way through the half, with Oates and Jonathan Franks both causing the hosts problems.

Deverdics sent a corner in from the right which again found Oates highest in the box but his downward header bounced up and over the bar.

Harrison’s side switched the ball about, with some lovely diagonal balls to keep Wrexham on their toes but for all of the possession, Pools did little to test Callum Preston in the home goal.

The back line for Pools looked solid once again, with Watson and Ledger getting up to clear a number of crosses into the box.

Scott Loach was called upon late in the half, as he made a comfortable save from a Shaun Pearson header following a corner kick.

The teams went in at 0-0 at half time and, while the first forty-five minutes hadn’t been a classic, it was a battling display from Pools in some tough conditions.

Pools started the second half the better and left Wrexham frustrated in their attempts to clear the ball from their own half.

When the hosts did break upfield, they forced a corner and that  signalled a spell of pressure of their own, with Pools defending in numbers to prevent the shot coming in.

Devante Rodney went on a powerful run down the right to send a low ball across the face of goal which was met by Franks running in from the left. His shot beat the keeper but crashed against the bar as Pools went closest to opening the scoring just before the hour mark.

A Carl Magnay low drive into the box caused confusion for the hosts, and when the ball eventually found Rodney, he had only the keeper to beat but Preston pulled off a decent save to deny the striker a goal.

Wrexham then went straight up the other end of the field for their best chance of the game, with Alex Reid pushing into the box to fire a shot at goal, which Scott Loach got down to help around the post.

Rodney got space again down the right for Pools and again got his cross in, but this time his ball fizzed across the box unchallenged.

Pools put in another determined display at the back, and Keith Watson and Michael Ledger both put in crucial blocks to keep Wrexham out as the hosts took their turn to look for a way to break the deadlock.

Louis Laing came on for Rhys Oates for the final five minutes and added his height to the attack as the visitors went for the win. 

In the end though, it was a point for each team - a result that saw Pools extend their unbeaten run to four game going into a big game at Leyton Orient on Saturday. 

Full Time: Wrexham 0 Pools 0

Attendance: 4,144 (132 Pools)

Wrexham: Preston,  Smith, Pearson, Wedgbury, Reid (Massanka 80), Carrington, Rutherford, Roberts, Boden (Mackreth 66), Wright, L Smith (Holroyd 46).
Subs Not Used: Marx, Tharme. 

Pools: Loach, Magnay, Watson, Ledger, Deverdics, Featherstone, Woods, Hawkins, Rodney (Donaldson 73), Franks, Oates (Laing 85).
Subs Not Used: Donnelly, Newton, Munns.

Advertisement block