Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Pools Take The Points At Torquay

28 October 2017

Second half goals from Rhys Oates and Jonathan Franks helped Pools stretch their unbeaten run to seven games with a 2-0 victory over Torquay United at Plainmoor.

Craig Harrison’s side had to recover from a below-par first half but they turned on the style after the break and could even have won by a more handsome scoreline by the end.

Pools struggled to get going in the early stages and it was the hosts who began to enjoy the greater amount of possession and carve out some decent chances.

Ruairi Keating was first to try his luck when he let fly with a low drive from the left corner of the penalty area but Scott Loach got down to his right to gather.

The Gulls had front man had an even better opportunity a few minutes later when a looping cross from the right found Keating alone on the penalty spot but he nodded a header wide of the target.

Loach had some more work to do when Josh McQuiod was allowed to advance towards the edge of the area before hitting a powerful drive which the Pools keeper got across quickly to palm away to safety.

Pools did begin to look more of a threat as the half developed and Liam Donnelly had a shot blocked and Blair Adams made the keeper work with a stinging right-foot shot after a driving run and a neat one-two with Michael Woods.

However, Torquay continued to look the more likely and Pools were thankful there wasn’t anyone to apply a decisive touch when Jamie Reid drove a low ball across the face of the goal.

Reid – who came in to the game high on confidence after scoring in his last two outings – almost found the net when he prodded a shot at goal from the front post after great work down the left from Jennison Myrie-Williams but this time Loach blocked with his feet.

Pools began the second half in better shape and almost snatched the lead when Adams got forward to provide a cross in to the box but Nicky Deverdics flashed a header wide.

However, it was 1-0 to Craig Harrison’s men on 54 minutes when good midfield play from Nicky Featherstone and Luke George saw the ball again played out to the feet of Adams and when he whipped a wicked cross in to the front post Rhys Oates was there to powerfully head home.

It got even better for Pools on 68 minutes when Jonathan Franks wandered in to space twenty-five yards and let fly with a shot which took a nick off the defender on its way in to the top corner of the net to send the travelling fans wild.

Pools were thankful to the reflexes of Loach once again when Reid managed to worm his way in to the penalty area and the keeper had to make a sharp save at his front post to deny the front man.

It could have been 3-0 to Pools when Deverdics’ right-wing corner was met by Donnelly six yards out but his header dropped agonisingly wide of the post as Torquay rocked again at the back.

Torquay began to apply some pressure as time ticked away and substitute Damon Lathrope saw his shot blocked by Deverdics before Josh Gowling headed the resultant corner just wide.

Scott Harrison was introduced up front for the closing stages and he came close to adding a third goal when he nodded a corner just wide as Pools continued to look a threat to the home defence.

Loach had to produce another great save to his left in injury time to preserve the clean sheet and finish-off a productive afternoon in Devon for Pools.

Full Time: Torquay United 0 Pools 2

Torquay United: Dorel, Efete, McGinty, Gowling, Young (Anderson 85), Keating, Evans (Dowling 67), McQuoid, Reid, Higgins (Lathrope 67), Myrie-Williams.
Subs not used: Clarke, Klukowski.

Pools: Loach, Donnelly, Laing, Ledger (Richardson 62), Adams, Featherstone, George, Woods (Munns 89), Deverdics, Oates (Harrison 87), Franks.
Subs: Hawkins, Munns, Simpson.

Booked: Donnelly.

Attendance: 1,987 (159 Poolies)

Advertisement block