Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

FA Cup Win For Pools At South Shields

14 October 2017

Pools sealed their place in the First Round proper of the FA Cup with a 2-1 victory over South Shields at Mariner's Park.

It was the hosts who took a first-half lead in the game but Pools hit two quick-fire second-half goals through Devante Rodney and Nicky Deverdics to seal the win.

Pools started the game strongly and dominated the opening twenty minutes of the action, playing some good attacking football.

Devante Rodney enjoyed space down the right and used his pace early on to send a pacy ball across the face of goal that just escaped the attentions of Jonathan Franks at the far post.

Nicky Deverdics added his weight to the attack and sent a great cross in from the left that saw Jack Norton punch it clear. Jack Munns got in to meet the rebound but his low shot was blocked out.

Munns, who had a lively start to the game, picked out Louis Laing with a well-taken corner from the right. The big defender headed the ball down where Rodney tried to flick it over the line but his touch took it just over the bar.

On 20 minutes, South Shields had their first attack of the game and the move signalled a change of fortunes for Pools.

Scott Loach punched that effort clear, before watching long-distance efforts from Matthew Pattison and Robert Briggs go wide of his goal.

The hosts made their pressure count on 26 minutes as Cal Finnigan capitalised on a slip by Scott Harrison to turn and fire a shot past Loach to make it 1-0 from 12 yards out.

Laing got in a decent block to deny Gavin Cogdon just after the goal as Shields pushed on in search of a quick second.

Loach pulled off another save to deny Cogdon from the right, before the big keeper pulled off a great stop to prevent Pattison who had picked up a decent ball from Finnigan.

Jonathan Franks tried an effort from distance as Pools looked to get back on level terms but it was easy for the keeper who collected the shot.

South Shields went closest to adding another before the break as they finished a good passage of play with a strike from Finnigan that went just over, before Pattison hit the woodwork with a late strike on goal.

Nicky Featherstone had the first effort of the second half as he took a chance from the edge of the box but his shot went wide.

And then, with Pools next attack, the scores were level; Rhys Oates did well to force his way into the box and, while his shot was blocked, the ball square to Rodney who rolled it under Norton to make it 1-1.

Five minutes later and Pools were ahead through Nicky Deverdics; Oates was fouled running through on goal and the freekick was awarded. Deverdics stepped up to take it and sent a perfectly-weighted ball past the wall, past the keeper and into the back of the net from at least 30 yards out to make it 2-1 to Harrison’s side.

The hosts responded well to going behind and had a decent chance on goal not long after as Cogdon pushed in from the right to shoot but again Loach pulled off a strong save to deny any chance.

Pattison fired in a left-footed strike from just inside the box that took a deflection and went just wide of Loach’s left-hand post.

But while it remained the hosts who did more of the attacking, Pools looked composed and well-organised, lead by the impressive Nicky Featherstone who was solid all afternoon in the middle for Harrison’s side.

It was a professional display by Pools who managed the game perfectly in the end to take the win and seal their place in the draw for the First Round of this year's FA Cup.

Full Time: South Shields 1 Pools 2

Booked: Hawkins (90)

South Shields: Norton, Baxter, Callaghan, Shaw, Morse, Arca (Stephenson 67), Smith (Richardson 76), Briggs, Cogdon, Pattison, Finnigan.
Subs Not Used: Connell, Nicholson, Sullivan, Lough, Storey

Pools: Loach, Ledger, Harrison, Laing, Deverdics, Featherstone, Woods, Munns (Adams 64), Franks, Oates, Rodney (Hawkins 76).
Subs Not Used: Catterick, Richardson, George, Thorne, Simpson. 

Advertisement block