Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Shots Take Points From Pools

18 November 2017

A goal in each half from Aldershot Town saw Pools lose out 2-0 on a disappointing afternoon at Victoria Park.

It was a tight first half here at The Vic, with few chances at either end – but it was the visitors who made the move that counted, grabbing a lead in the last of the 45 minutes.

While Pools probably saw more of the ball, they struggled to break into the final third as both sides cancelled out the threat of the other.

Liam Donnelly, back in the side after missing out last week through suspension, put in a couple of strong interceptions to deny the visitors from breaking forward.

Just before the half-hour mark Nicky Deverdics put a ball through for Devante Rodney to chase but Shots keeper Lewis Ward got down quickly to take possession away from the Pools striker.

Scott Loach made a similar save at the other end, getting down bravely to snatch the ball away from the attention of Jim Kellerman who chased back to pressure the keeper, while the Pools number one reacted well shortly after to take the ball away from Shamir Fenelon who chased it down into the box.

Jonathan Franks sent a corner in from the left that picked out Deverdics at the near post but his flicked header went high at the near post.

A long ball upfield by Scott Loach set Devante Rodney up for a cheeky effort on goal; the big striker tracked the ball back into the box before executing an acrobatic overhead kick which sent the ball just over the bar.

With 43 minutes gone, Deverdics put a corner in from the right which picked out Kenton Richardson in the box but his headed effort went wide of the post.

And within a minute, Aldershot Town were ahead; a decent run forward by Kellermann saw him pick out James Rowe who in turn crossed into the box where Bernard Mensah arrived to send a header into the back of the net to give the visitors a late lead in this first half.

Aldershot came out lively in the second half and tested Loach with a decent strike in the first couple of minutes as Adam McDonnell tried his luck from just inside the box. His effort had Loach out at full stretch but went wide of the far post.

Pools were soon in action at the other end though, with good work from Jake Cassidy freeing up Franks to cross into the box where Deverdics fired a shot on goal that went just high of target.

Aldershot Town had the ball in the back of the net on 64 minutes as Will Evans headed home from a freekick but thankfully for Pools, the effort was ruled out for offside.

Harrison’s side suffered the same fate just moments later when Jonathan Franks was ruled offside as he ran through to put the ball past Ward in the visiting goal.

The second half became increasingly frustrating for Pools as the visitors did a good job of spoiling and attacking opportunities for Pools were few and far between.

Kenton Richardson got forward to send a low cross in from the right but the ball was collected comfortably by Ward at the near post.

Pools were seeing more of the ball by this stage but for all of the possession, they just couldn't break the visitors down and each attack was sent back away from the danger area by a red shirt. 

And then the sucker punch came on 86 minutes as Jim Kellermann burst forward and showed a cool head to pick his spot and send the ball into the roof of the net to make it 2-0 to Aldershot Town. 

Full Time: Pools 0 Aldershot Town 2

Attendance: 3732 (187 Aldershot Town)

Booked: Deverdics (49), Cassidy (55), Featherstone (79)

Pools: Loach, Richardson, Harrison, Donnelly, Adams (Munns 69), Franks, Featherstone, George (Woods 69), Deverdics, Cassidy, Rodney (Oates 60).
Subs Not Used: Ledger, Newton.

Aldershot Town: Ward, Alexander, Evans, Fenelon (Lyons-Foster 89), Mensah (Rendell 68), Kellermann, Rowe, McDonnell, Fowler, Reynolds, Robert (Gallagher 71).
Subs Not Used: Skinner.


Advertisement block