Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Reserves Held To A Draw At Chesterfield

28 March 2017

Pools Reserves were forced to settle for a point in their final game of the season as Chesterfield twice came from behind to earn a 2-2 draw at The Proact Stadium on Tuesday.

John Hewitson was looking after a young Pools squad for the game and they dominated for the most part against The Spireites but were punished for not taking enough of their chances.

Both goalkeepers were forced in to some early action in the game as first Ben Dudzinski got down low to block brilliantly from Ricky German’s header, before Dylan Parkin produced a great stop at the other end to deny Ethan Wood.

Devante Rodney escaped beyond the home side’s defence on the quarter-hour mark but after taking a touch to steady himself he saw his shot blocked away to safety.

Parkin then had to be at his best again to deny Jack Blackford who did well to get on the end of Jake Orrell’s cross only to see the keeper make a fine save.

It was only brief respite for Chesterfield though because Pools opened the scoring on 20 minutes; Josh Hawkes slipped the ball through for Liam Travers and he finished well to make it 1-0.

Hawkes came close to adding a second direct from a free-kick which flew just wide and the hosts made up for the let-off by levelling on 28 minutes through Jake Beasley, who converted after Pools failed to clear Charlie Wakefield’s free-kick.

Parkin saved well again to prevent Blackford immediately restoring Pools’ advantage before German almost put The Spireites in front but his shot was deflected wide.

Pools got their noses back in front with the first attack of the second half and it was Travers on target again as he prodded the ball home after Rodney’s initial shot had been parried in to his path.

The goal gave Pools a big boost and they began to dominate proceedings, creating chances for Hawkes, Orrell and Travers to extend the lead but all went begging.

Perhaps the best opportunity to make it 3-1 fell to Rodney when he beat the offside trap but Parkin got something to his shot and defender Dylan Hand was in the right place to clear it off the line as it looked to be creeping in.

The home side began to get a foothold back in the game after that and could have levelled when Beesley turned inside and sent a shot towards goal but it didn’t curl enough and went just wide.

Parkin was there again to beat away Blackford’s close-range effort, while German had another chance at the other end but slipped his effort off-target and Pools survived.

However, with eight minutes remaining the hosts did snatch an equaliser as substitute Josh Tipping got on the end of Wakefield’s precise pass to beat Dudzinski and level things up at 2-2.

There was still time for both keepers to make another save apiece at the end of an entertaining game before the final whistle confirmed that the sides would share the points.

"It's very frustrating because that is a game we definitely should have won," admitted Hewitson afterwards.

"We created four or five really good chances at the start of the second half and that's the period when we should really have put the game to bed.

"The lads know they need to defend better but if you put your chances away then it gives you that bit of breathing space.

"As it was, we were forced on to the back foot late on and ended up conceding what was a bit of a sucker punch because we were the better team for the majority of the game."

Full Time: Chesterfield 2 Pools 2

Pools: Dudzinski, Nearney, Pollock, Fielding, Martin, J Orrell, Wood, Hawkes, Blackford (Weirs 87), Travers, Rodney (Simpson 87).
Catterick, Owen, L OrrellSubs not used:

Advertisement block