Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Franks Goal Seals First Win For Pools

28 August 2017

It was an afternoon of firsts for Pools at Guiseley as Craig Harrison's side picked up their first victory of the season with a 1-0 win.

Jonathan Franks got the only goal of the game in the second half, his first since re-signing for the Club, and it was enough to see Pools pick up the three points. 

The first half this afternoon was lacking in entertainment but did see Pools go in at half time on level terms for the first time this season.

The hosts had the first shot of the game after just four minutes when Frank Mulhern got into the box to fire a shot in. His effort beat Scott Loach but couldn’t do the same with the woodwork as it crashed against the bar and bounced back into play.

It was quite a scrappy opening from there, with Pools struggling to get forward but doing enough at the other end to keep the hosts at bay.

Keith Watson was strong again for Pools, impressing again after a solid debut at the weekend.

The first corner of the game went Pools’ way and it came in the 30th minute; Nicky Deverdics sent the ball in from the left but it was easily dealt with by the home defenders.

Devante Rodney had the first shot of the game for Harrison’s men just before half time, sending a low shot at goal which rolled wide of goal.

Guiseley won a corner on 40 minutes and, with Pools having conceded by this stage in previous outings, it was a nervy moment but the final shot came in and went wide of target.

There was a late half-chance for Raul Correia who forced his way into the box but he sent his shot high and, for the first time this season, Pools did not go into the break behind in the game.

Rodney had a chance just after the re-start, seeing his effort blocked by Joe Green in the home goal.

And then, with less than five minutes played, Pools were 1-0 up; good work by Jake Cassidy down the right set things up and, with Lewis Hawkins first trying his luck, the ball found Jonathan Franks who smashed it past Green and into the back of the net.

The goal was scored in front of the travelling army of over 700 travelling Poolies who celebrated wildly at seeing their team ahead in a game for the first time this season.

Guiseley put some pressure on at the other end but Scott Harrison put in a decent block to send it out for a corner, while the big defender won a lot of aerial balls for his team this afternoon.

Carl Magnay got involved in the attack on 70 minutes, whipping a great cross in from the right which sailed across the face of goal without challenge.

Scott Loach came to the rescue for Pools on 75 minutes, pulling off a brilliant double save to deny the hosts an equaliser. The second save in particular from an Odejayi effort was definitely worth looking out for.

There were some very nervy moments as the game neared its end as Pools dug deep with some last-ditch defending to hold onto the lead.

And the addition of eight minutes added time only added to those nerves but Harrison's side stood firm and picked up that crucial first win.

Full Time: Guiseley 0 Pools 1

Attendance: 1723

Booked: Rodney (50), Franks (87), Featherstone (89)

Guiseley: Green, Lowe, Palmer, Lawlor, Hatfield, Rooney, Correia (Odejayi 63), McFadzean (Molyneux 12), Purver, Mulhern, East (Hurst 82).
Subs Not Used: Brown, Atkinson. 

Pools: Loach, Magnay, Harrison (Richardson 76), Watson, Deverdics, Featherstone, Hawkins, Woods, Franks, Cassidy (Simpson 82), Rodney (Donaldson 68).
Subs Not Used: Newton, Munns.


Advertisement block