Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Disappointing Defeat For Pools

26 August 2017

Pools are still looking for their first National League victory after falling to a 2-0 defeat to AFC Fylde at The Vic this afternoon.

Once again Craig Harrison's side fell behind to a first-half goal and failed to find a reply - with a late Danny Rowe effort sealing defeat for Pools. 

AFC Fylde had a couple of early chances through Rowe; the striker pushing in from the left with one effort that saw him send his final shot into the side netting of Scott Loach’s goal.

Jonathan Franks opened things up for Pools at the other end and sent a low cross into the box which was just nicked away from Jake Cassidy running into the box. The visitors broke away on the counter attack but fortunately Jack Muldoon sent his cross forward wide.

Conor Newton did really well to drive in from the right and play a great ball into the feet of Jack Munns inside the box. He got his shot in but it went just wide of the near post.

Scott Loach, skippering the team in the absence of Carl Magnay, showed real bravery as he threw himself at the feet of Muldoon to block a shot just inside the box.

AFC Fylde grew in confidence in the game and, while they showed a direct approach in their defending, they played some good football going forward.

Danny Rowe had another shot on goal, this time testing his luck with one from distance and, while his shot didn’t have much on it, it took a deflection to win the visitors a corner.

And, from the resulting corner kick, Ryan Donadlson came to the rescue to clear a headed effort powerfully off the line and away from danger.

New loan signing Keith Watson put in a great challenge inside the box to whip the ball away from Henry Jones who had broken through into the area.

Pools themselves had enjoyed their fair share of the ball without really testing Rhys Taylor in the visiting goal.

And, with 40 minutes gone, Pools fell a goal behind for the sixth successive fixture; the visitors were afforded too much space down the left and when the ball came into the box it was easy for Jones to pick up, and he sent his shot past Loach to make it 1-0.

With Scott Harrison going off injured just before half-time, Kenton Richardson replaced him and there was a switch around at the back for Pools, with Donnelly moving into a more central position.

It was the visitors who dominated the opening spell of the second half and Pools spent too much time in their own half defending against a team who looked keen to add to their tally.

Loach pulled off a good save to deny Rowe who sent a well-taken freekick at goal, while Keith Watson looked a good addition at the back for Pools on his debut.

Harrison brought on Devante Rodney and Lewis Hawkins just after the hour mark as he looked to inject the spark that his side had so-far lacked.

Jonathan Franks was busy for Pools and did not stop with his running and Jake Cassidy worked hard to create space up front but it was the visitors who looked most likely to score again.

Pools sent a freekick into the box in the 80th minute, which saw everyone bar Adams and Loach go up to challenge for. But the visitors threw numbers back and were able to clear

On 82 minutes, a Liam Donnelly shot on goal from outside of the box – which was the first for Pools in the second half – went wide of the far post.

With 85 minutes on the clock, Rowe made it 2-0 to AFC Fylde and Pools faced defeat once more on another disappointing afternoon at Victoria Park.

Full Time: Pools 0 AFC Fylde 2

Booked: Cassidy (60), Watson (83)

Attendance: 2954 (82 AFC Fylde)

Pools: Loach, Donnelly, Watson, Harrison (Richardson 45), Adams, Featherstone, Donaldson (Rodney 62), Newton, Munns (Hawkins 63), Franks, Cassidy.
Subs Not Used: Woods, Deverdics.

AFC Fylde: Taylor, Montrose, Francis-Angol, Tunnicliffe, Bond, Hardy (Smith 72), Finley, Rowe, Muldoon (Ezewele 85), Grand, Jones (McCready 76).
Subs Not Used: Lynch, Blinkhorn.

Advertisement block