Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

2015/16 Monthly Review: October

27 May 2016

We move in to the third month of the campaign which was to prove frustrating and controversial in equal measure.

The month of October began in controversial circumstances when it was confirmed that Carl Magnay had been handed a six-game suspension by The Football Association.

Magnay had been sent-off in the game at Wycombe Wanderers in September but was found guilty of spitting in the direction of home supporters as he made his way off the pitch.

“I am shocked and disappointed at The FA decision to ban me for six games,” the full-back said in a statement following the verdict.

“Though I do not deny spitting, it is clear in the video evidence that I do not spit on or at anyone,” he added, going on to describe it as an “abhorrent allegation”.

Magnay was allowed to play in the opening game of the month against Luton Town as the Club considered its options but it was an unhappy outing for Ronnie Moore’s men as The Hatters enjoyed a 4-1 win at Victoria Park.

During the next week, there was more positive news from the Club as Jeff Stelling accepted a role as Honorary President and he was in attendance for Pools weekend trip to Northampton Town.

The Sky Sports presenter watched on as Pools conceded twice in the first 21 minutes at Sixfields and, although they got back in to it through Rakish Bingham just after the half-hour mark, The Cobblers hung on for victory.

Moore moved to bolster his squad a few days later as Luke Hendrie arrived on loan from Burnley while moves were also made to bring in Jason Banton and Magnus Okuonghae on loan from Wycombe Wanderers and Luton Town respectively.

All three were in the squad for the weekend trip to Dagenham & Redbridge, with Hendrie and Okuonghae thrust straight in to the starting eleven.

Pools were further boosted by the competitive debut of Trevor Carson who overcame a toe injury and the debutants all enjoyed a winning start as Billy Paynter’s looping first half header proved the only goal of the game.

The lads were back on home soil three days later when they hosted Barnet at The Vic but they had to be satisfied with a point after Rhys Oates’ first goal for the Club was cancelled out by visiting front man John Akinde midway through the second half.

There was another touching tribute to Michael Maidens on the 25th minute of that game against Barnet as Pools fans paid their respects eight years on from his tragic death.

The final home game of the month saw Crawley Town make the long journey north – but they were to be rewarded for their trip with all three points. After a goalless first half, the game sprung to life on 66 minutes when Scott Harrison was sent-off for handling on the line. Former Pools man Simon Walton converted from the spot before Rhys Murphy made it 2-0, rendering Billy Paynter’s late goal a mere consolation.

October finished with a long trip for Pools as AFC Wimbledon were the hosts but Magnus Okuonghae was forced off early through injury as Moore’s men turned in a poor performance in a 2-0 defeat at The Cherry Red Records Stadium.

YouTube Highlights
Pools 1 Luton Town 4 – WATCH
Northampton Town 2 Pools 1 – WATCH
Dagenham & Redbridge 0 Pools 1 – WATCH
Pools 1 Barnet 1 – WATCH
Pools 1 Crawley Town 2 – WATCH
WATCHAFC Wimbledon 2 Pools 0 -

Advertisement block