Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Pools Hit Guisborough Town For Six

26 July 2016

Lewis Alessandra netted a hat-trick as Pools produced a professional performance to defeat Guisborough Town 6-0 at The King George V Stadium on Tuesday night.

Craig Hignett had named a strong starting eleven for the game against the Northern League Division One outfit, with Trevor Carson returning from a toe injury and Billy Paynter and Padraig Amond paired up front.

The Pools boss had split his squad in order to play two friendlies in one evening, with strong sides sent to both Guisborough and Seaham Red Star.

Pools immediately started controlling possession and moving the ball around quickly; Jake Carroll almost profited on five minutes when he got up highest to head on goal but his effort came back off the bar.

Hignett’s men kept on applying the pressure though and Padraig Amond almost stole in behind the home defence on to Carroll’s floated ball over the top but he just couldn’t bring it under control and the chance passed.

Michael Woods was next to pull the trigger as he turned in to a bit of space on the edge of the area but then dragged his right-foot shot side of the post.

However, with just less than a quarter-hour on the clock Pools did make their dominance pay when Amond fed the ball to Lewis Alessandra and his low ball to the back post was tucked home by Billy Paynter from close range.

It got better for Pools a couple of minutes later when Paynter turned provider, expertly chesting the ball down in to the path of Alessandra and he made no mistake with a crisp finish across the keeper for 2-0.

The hosts almost grabbed a lifeline at the other end though when skipper Leon Carling delivered a low ball across the goal which evaded everyone and clipped the far post on its way to safety.

Normal service was resumed on 25 minutes though when a wonderful cross from Carroll was perfectly met by Amond who directed his header in to the net for 3-0.

The hosts made a few substitutions at half time but it was Pools who started on the front foot in the second half; Michael Woods stinging the hands of the home keeper with a long distance drive.

Matthew Bates was keen to get involved going forward and he exchanged passes with Woods at the end of a marauding run but the final shot was well saved by the keeper.

Alessandra was causing problems when he got on the ball and he drove in to the box with possession but fired his shot high and wide.

On 57 minutes Pools did make it 4-0 when Lewis Hawkins strode on to the ball on the right hand side and sent a fantastic low dive beyond the keeper and in to the bottom left corner of the net.

There was a great opportunity for Guisborough to pull one back seconds later when Carroll was adjudged to have fouled his man in the box but Thibault Charmey blazed his penalty over the bar.

Paynter could have made it 5-0 but shot was parried by the keeper, with Amond unable to force in the rebound as the keeper reacted quickly to get something on it and send it over the bar for a corner.

Hawkins let fly from a long way out again as Pools continued to make the running but this time his well-struck shot was well palmed away by the keeper, while another thunderbolt moments later flew over the bar.

Alessandra bagged his second of the night with time running out; Kieran Green fed the ball in to him before the attacker shimmied on to his right foot before finishing coolly for 5-0.

And there was even time left for Alessandra to complete his hat-trick when he ran on to a wonderful flick from Amond to ram a low shot beyond the keeper and in to the corner of the net to round-off the scoring.

Full Time: Guisborough Town 0 Pools 6

Pools: Carson, Donnelly, Bates, Nsiala (Pollock 40), Carroll, Featherstone, Woods (Green 73), Hawkins, Alessandra, Paynter, Amond.
Subs not used: Dudzinski.


Advertisement block