Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 26/09/2015

26 September 2015

Late Goal Snatches Victory For Pools

Brad Walker climbed off the bench to score a winner seven minutes from time as Pools got back on track with a gutsy 2-1 victory at Yeovil Town.

The midfielder fired home from close range at the far post to secure the three points after Scott Fenwick’s first half opener has been cancelled out by former Pools loan man Ryan Bird.

Ronnie Moore made only one change to his starting eleven with Scott Fenwick drafted in to the attack in the absence of Rakish Bingham who missed the trip with a hamstring problem.

The tempo was low in the opening minutes though Pools had to defend their box well as both Scott Harrison and Andrew Boyce did well to deal with low crosses from either wing.

It was a while before the first real chance of the game materialised when right-back Connor Roberts got to the byline and drilled a ball back to Josh Sheehan eighteen yards out but the debutant blasted his shot just over.

Just after the half hour mark Pools got their noses in front though there was some debate over the identity of the scorer. Billy Paynter was bundled over on the right wing and Jake Carroll sent a teasing ball in to the box which bounced through and in to the top corner though replays later confirmed that Scott Fenwick had got the slightest of touches to claim the goal.

Sadly, the advantage lasted little over five minutes; Nathan Smith prodded a ball inside for Jake Howells’ who found enough room to drill it across to Ryan Bird who gleefully volleyed home from close range at the far post.

Sheehan came close to putting The Glovers in front in spectacular fashion shortly afterwards but his ferocious effort from thirty yards refused to dip sufficiently and cleared the bar.

At the other end Pools continued to carry a threat and Paynter and Fenwick combined well to create an opening but Paynter dragged a left-foot shot wide of the target under pressure from defenders.

The second half started in the same way as the first had with neither side quick out of the blocks; Michael Woods’ shot from the edge of the box was easily held by home keeper Artur Krysiak.

Scott Harrison rose above the defence from Woods’ corner moments later but after getting the better of his marker he nodded his effort just too high.

The hosts started to look more productive as the half developed and Howell twice came close to scoring – once firing just wide of the front post then hitting the side-netting with a volley.

Dolan came even closer to putting Town in front when his twenty-five yard free-kick was well parried by Adam Bartlett and defender Jakub Sokolik headed the rebound wide.

Brad Halliday stormed forward to put Pools back on the front foot but when his cross was cleared, The Glovers almost profited on the counter-attack but Jake Carroll got back to nod the ball behind as Bird waited to score.

Paynter had been tussling with the two powerful centre-backs all afternoon and came close to getting the better of them when Nicky Featherstone’s inswinging cross grazed his forehead on its way wide.

But then on 83 minutes the ball broke in to space for Featherstone who fed it in to substitute Kudus Oyenuga; the winger scuffed a shot across goal where Walker gleefully rammed it home to cue wild celebrations from the 79 travelling Pools fans.

Full Time: Yeovil Town 1 Pools 2

Yeovil Town: Krysiak, Smith, Dolan, Arthurworry, Sokolik, Bird, Cornick, Roberts, Howells (Beck 85), Bassett (Allen 71), Sheehan.
Subs not used: Weale, Gibbons, Fogden, Melanson.

Pools: Bartlett, Halliday, Harrison, Boyce, Carroll, Bates, Featherstone, Woods (Walker 80), Fenwick (Oyenuga 65), Paynter, Oates (Smith 90).
Subs not used: Denton, Nearney, Jones, Hawkins.

Attendance: 3,078 (79 Pools)

Booked: Woods (foul)

Advertisement block