Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Whitby Hold Pools To Draw In Friendly

17 July 2015

Rhys Oates scored his first goal for the Club as Pools came from behind to take a draw in their latest pre-season friendly outing at Whitby Town.

Pools continue coming back to The Turnbull Ground each summer because they know they get a good workout and this Friday night contest was no different.

It was a scrappy opening to the game with neither side looking particularly fluent in possession and too many stray passes, as possession switched hands quickly.

From one such misplaced ball in midfield, the host took the lead, storming forward to the right of the penalty area where Mike Roberts’ drive was helped past Adam Bartlett by a Carl Magnay deflection.

Pools could have responded almost immediately when Rakish Bingham dropped a shoulder in to space on the edge of the area but his curling low effort scraped the outside of the post.

Magnay had a chance to score when he got free at the far post from Fergus Bell’s right-wing corner but couldn’t make a clean connection with his head, while Johnny Giles fired over from twenty yards after cleverly working his own space to shoot.

Scott Harrison – playing his first pre-season game after a hamstring concern – found the ball at his feet from a corner but his powerful drive was well blocked by the defender.

Giles had another opportunity to shoot after good hold-up play by Bingham but again the trialist midfielder struck his effort too high to trouble the home goal.

After sweeping changes at the break, Pools began the second half with more verve and Connor Smith drilled an effort across goal and wide early on after good build-up play from Rhys Oates.

Kudus Oyenuga floated a cross in from the right which Brad Walker pulled down and struck at goal but it took a deflection and looped on to the top of the cross bar and over.

From the resultant corner it was all-square though as Pools took the set-piece too quickly for the hosts and Smith’s floated cross was nodded in at the front post by Oates on 70 minutes.

After that Pools always looked the most likely to go on and win the game; Jake Carroll burst forward on the end of the best move of the match after more good work from Oates but a last-ditch block denied him.

Smith tried his luck from range with an effort that just didn’t dip enough and then the dangerous Oates brought a good save from the keeper after he latched on to Oyenuga’s low cross.

Full Time: Whitby Town 1 Pools 1

Pools First Half: Bartlett, Magnay, Parnaby, Bell, Harrison, Nelson-Addy, Duckworth, Giles, Bingham, Paynter, Howes.

Pools Second Half: Denton, Richards, Bates, Green, Smith, Featherstone, Oyenuga, Walker, Carroll, Oates, Fenwick.

Attendance: 358

Advertisement block