Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Victory For Pools In Spennymoor Friendly

18 July 2015

Pools extended their unbeaten start to pre-season to four games with a 4-0 win over Spennymoor Town at The Brewery Field on Saturday afternoon.

Ronnie Moore once again shuffled things around in terms of his team selection, giving one set of eleven players the chance to impress in the first half before substituting them all at the break.

The first chance of the afternoon went the way of the visitors when former Pools defender Joe Tait stole in at the far post and possibly should have done better than thunder a header wide.

Pools responded when Brad Walker’s crossfield pass found trialist Adam Whittle whose cross was cut out by the defender with Rakish Bingham waiting to pounce.

From the resultant corner Ebby Nelson-Addy found Walker at the front post who helped it on to Carl Magnay but he couldn’t adjust quickly enough to direct his header below the bar from close range.

However, Pools went in front on ten minutes when a neat move down the right saw the ball reach Bingham and, though his first cross was blocked, his second found Scott Fenwick in enough space to head home clinically at the far post.

Johnny Giles flicked a header just wide of goal, while at the other end Adam Bartlett had to be quick off his line to block a shot from former Pools loanee Liam Henderson as he burst through.

The first half was littered with strong challenges, the worst of which saw Town’s Lewis Dodds go high and two-footed on Scott Harrison – the referee had a word with the guilty midfielder for a tackle which would surely have brought a red card in any competitive fixture.

Moments later Walker stung a twenty-five yard free-kick towards the top corner but home keeper Dan Lowson leapt brilliantly to turn the effort round the post.

Walker had another effort from long-distance just after which was too high, while Bingham saw a shot blocked and Giles’ deep cross was nodded in to the side netting by Fenwick as Pools continued to do the majority of the attacking.

The new-look Pools of the second half took their time to get going; too often they gave the ball away in dangerous areas and allowed Town to enjoy dominance for a spell.

However, slowly but surely they felt their way in to the game with Rhys Oates, Billy Paynter and Jake Carroll linking well going forward and causing some problems for the hosts.

And with 65 minutes on the clock the improvement was underlined when Fergus Bell received the ball in the inside-left position, drove towards goal and fired a low shot in to the bottom corner from twenty yards to make it 2-0.

Connor Smith then scored a brilliant individual goal to put the result beyond doubt fifteen minutes from time; picking the ball up from Bell on the right, he dribbled infield and avoided several defenders before clipping a lovely finish around the keeper and in to the bottom corner.

Town almost pulled one back with ten minutes left when he turned skilfully in the box but he fired a powerful effort just wide of Peter Denton’s near post, while the keeper also had to save smartly from Gavin Cogden moments later.

However, Pools held firm and added a fourth goal in the 87th minute when the ball was swept from right to left in a move involving Featherstone and Paynter, allowing Carroll to drive in to the area and finish well across the keeper.

Full Time: Spennymoor Town 0 Pools 4

Pools First Half: Bartlett, Harrison, Magnay, Green, Duckworth, Walker, Nelson-Addy, Whittle, Giles, Bingham, Fenwick.

Pools Second Half: Denton, Richards, Bates, Jones, Oyenuga, Featherstone, Smith, Bell, Carroll, Paynter, Oates.

Advertisement block