Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Tigers Bite Back To Beat Pools Reserves

14 January 2015

Pools Reserves were beaten 3-2 by Hull City at Billingham Town as the visitors came from two goals down to secure victory in the Final Third Development League Cup.

First half strikes from Brad Walker and Connor Smith put Pools in the driving seat at the break but incessant pressure from City in the second half paid off and they took all three points.

Hull began the game on the front foot and had the first effort on goal when Johan Ter Horst was allowed time to get a shot off but his effort was well blocked by Josh Nearney.

And it was Pools who went in front just afterwards on six minutes when Brad Walker turned twenty yards from goal and blasted a low shot in to the bottom right-hand corner of the net.

Greg Luer had a shot blocked for the visitors before Nearney lashed a long-range effort well over the bar as both sides struggled to conjure clear-cut scoring opportunities.

City striker Luer curled an effort just over the bar from the edge of the box with what was the travelling side’s best chance of the half – and Pools made them pay moments later.

A poor clearance from visiting keeper Rory Watson was seized upon by Connor Smith – the youngster took an excellent first touch before lobbing the ball back over the stranded keeper from thirty-five yards to make it 2-0.

Smith had a couple of half chances to extend Pools’ lead early in the second half but it was City who looked more likely as the period developed, Leur coming close with a shot just over.

There were 71 minutes on the clock when The Tigers finally dragged themselves back in to the game; Matty Dixon escaped down the left and lifted a composed finish over Jonny Maxted.

City piled on the pressure after that and had several opportunities to equalise when Maxted failed to clear his lines effectively and Karim Rossi fired past him and in to the net.

The winner arrived four minutes from time when Ter Horst’s powerful drive cannoned back off the post straight to Rossi who converted from eight yards out.

Smith had a great chance to pull Pools back level almost immediately but keeper Watson redeemed himself after his first half error by blocking the powerful volley away.

And Watson was also alert enough to palm over substitute Jordan Jewson’s late drive as City protected their lead and secured the win.

Full Time: Pools 2 Hull City 3

Pools: Maxted, Richards, Holden, Featherstone, Nearney, Bates, Hawkins, Skidmore (Jewson 62), Smith, Smith, Walker (Blackford 46), Mitchinson (Howes 55).
Subs not used: Barber, Carr.

Hull City: Watson, Pugh, O’Connor, Dixon, Clappison, Tancock, Luer, March, Ter Horst, McCwal(Rossi 62), Martin.
Subs not used: Walker,  Langton, McKenzie, Penny.

Advertisement block