Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Pools Pick Up A Point At Prenton Park

24 January 2015

Ronnie Moore's side put in a strong performance and deserved more from the game at Tranmere Rovers this afternoon.

It was a frantic start to the game here at Prenton Park, with Pools leading the charge and Tranmere responding on the break.

Michael Woods burst forward from the kick off to force his way into the box only to be blocked out and Tranmere used the clearance to attack themselves, with Kayode Odejayi forcing a save from Scott Flinders within the first minute.

Woods was back on the attack just after, with Dan Jones charging forward to feed the ball through to the midfielder. Woods pushed on before firing a shot in from distance which pulled a great save out of Owain Fon Williams who got up well to tip it over the bar.

Pools were passing it about nicely and working the hosts hardest and Fon Williams was called back into action shortly after when Rakish Bingham tried his luck from inside the area, collecting the ball after an initial stumble.

After dominating the opening ten minutes, Pools were hit on the break as a deep cross into the box found Odejayi unmarked on the far side and he hit a volley back across goal which found the bottom corner of the Pools’ net.

Moore’s side responded almost instantly to the goal and showed the kind of fight that has been missing at times this season; great work down the right by the impressive Aaron Tshibola saw him force a cross into the box for Woods. His shot was well-saved by Fon
Williams but Scott Fenwick was there to smash home to equaliser from close range on 14 minutes.

The tempo eased a little after the equaliser but Pools looked brightest and there were chances for Fenwick and Duckworth, who was lively this afternoon and got stuck into the attack.

Tshibola, who controlled the midfield for Pools, tried an ambitious effort from 25 yards but his effort went just over the bar.

Michael Duckworth intercepted well to set Woods on his way again towards the Tranmere goal, he then squared for Franks who saw his shot blocked out for a corner.

Pools were bright right up to the break and looked the better team, with Tranmere booed off at half time by their supporters.

There was an early blow for Pools as Scott Fenwick went down off the ball holding his right arm and he had to be substituted.

Tranmere saw much more of the ball in the early stages of the second half, and Scott Harrison put in a couple of brave blocks to keep them out as Pools took time to find that first half confidence.

With fifteen minutes having passed, Pools did find their feet and spent a decent spell virtually camped inside the Tranmere box. There were chances for Bingham and Franks, while Harrison also added his weight to the attack but Tranmere were able to clear the danger.

Josh Thompson threatened from a corner at the other end, beating Pools in the air to head on goal but his effort went just inches over the bar.

Michael Woods responded with a low drive from 20 yards out which scraped just past Fon Williams’ post as Pools looked to take the advantage in this increasingly open game.

Dan Jones headed down and into the arms of Fon Wiliams when in a good position from a corner kick, while Tshibola twisted and turned inside the area as Pools threw everything into getting a second goal.

Jones put in a big block at the other end to deny Tranmere from getting too close to Flinders’ goal before the Pools stopper saved from Rory Donnelly, while Bingham went desperately close for Pools after good work by Franks to break through.

Neil Austin stole the ball from the feet of sub Cole Stockton who was causing problems inside the box as the tempo reached its peak inside Prenton Park.

Max Power sent a screaming effort at goal which just wide of Flinders’ right-hand post with just five minutes remaining and Pools responded with yet another chance on goal, this time a deflected Franks' shot creeping just wide of the far post.

Bingham's strike from the edge of the area in injury time gave Pools late hope but it also fell the wrong side of the post and the game finished all square.

It was a strong performance from Pools this afternoon who just lacked that final ball to help them to the three points the display deserved.

Full Time: Tranmere Rovers 1 Pools 1

Attendance: 5488 (420 Pools)

Tranmere Rovers: Fon Williams, Holmes, Power, Ihiekwe, Odejayi (Stockton 79), Taylor, Molyneux (Koumas 62), Jennings, Fenelon (Myrie-Williams 62), Donnelly, Thompson.
Subs Not Used: Brezovan, Ridehalgh, Laird, Kirby.

Pools: Flinders, Duckworth, Harrison, Jones, Austin, Bates, Woods, Tshibola, Bingham, Fenwick (Harewood 51), Franks.
Subs Not Used: Maxted, Holden, Hawkins, Featherstone, Walker, Compton.

Advertisement block