Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 15/12/2015

15 December 2015

Late Goals Seal Win For Pools

Pools are through to the Third Round of the FA Cup after late goals from Scott Fenwick and Mikael Mandron sealed victory on a edgy night at The Vic. 

Salford City dominated large spells of this game and will feel unlucky to not have progressed in the competition themselves but Pools took the advantage that counted - with two late goals to seal victory. 

Rhys Oates had the first real shot for Pools on six minutes when he unleashed a low left-footed drive at goal which was easily held by Jay Lynch in the Salford goal. 

But that was as good as it got for Moore’s side in a first half which was largely dominated by the non-league visitors. 

On ten minutes a good cross in from Stephen O’Halloran down the left was blocked out by Trevor Carson but only into the path of former Pools man James Poole who sent a shot from close range high over the bar. 

Pools were struggling to get on the ball, with the visitors looking more energetic as they chased every ball and refused to give Moore’s side any time on the ball. 

And Pools, who were clearly showing nerves this evening, were not helping themselves as they played too many passes straight to the opposition. 

Oates, who was again one of Pools’ brightest performers in the first half, whipped a testing cross in from the right which found Scott Fenwick arriving in the box but his glancing header went wide of target. 

Matthew Bates was another who stood out in the first half, putting in a great challenge to deny the bustling Jordan Hulme from getting a shot away inside the box. 

Pools ha a spell of possession mid-way through the half where they first got a real feel for the ball this evening but they rarely found a way past the midfield area before the ball was returned upfield. 

Nicky Featherstone did make his way through to send a low effort at goal but again Jay Lynch held it. 

With the tension in the stands becoming more audible, Pools were struggling and, while Salford failed to really threaten Trevor Carson with their possession, they looked the hungrier of the two teams. 

Lewis Hardcastle had a low drive at goal on 32 minutes from the edge of the ox which scraped wide of the far post in the last real shot of the first half. 

Booed off at half time, Pools needed to find another gear after the break – and a way to settle those nerves – if they were to get something from this game. 

But Pools started the second half poorly with Salford looking increasingly dominant and confident; Hardcastle sent a couple of early shots over the break before Danny Webber saw an in-swinger land just on the roof of the net. 

Moore’s men spent the first 15 minutes of the second half battling away in their own half, trying to keep Salford at bay.

Trevor Carson – as has been the case many times this season – was the hero for Pools as he first reacted impressively to get down and block a curling effort through a crowded box from O’Halloran before snapping straight up and saving the rebound from James Poole. 

Pools went straight on the attack following the save, with Rhys Oates breaking down the right and feeding it in for Bingham inside the box. He was blocked but the move was enough to lift the crowd inside The Vic.

The urgency went out of Salford’s game as the second half reached its half-way point, and Pools began to see more of the ball again. 

But it was the visitors who looked the more dangerous going forward; a Richie Allen freekick, powered in low was somehow deflected wide of the post as they got closer to the opener. 

Hardcastle picked up possession on the edge of the box and sent another powerful shot at goal which again went just wide of Carson’s goal. 

Jake Carroll opened things up for Pools on 87 minutes when he linked up well with Bingham down the left before sending a low cross into the box which went just wide of the far post without a crucial touch from a Pools boot. 

And Pools finally seemed to find their spark in the closing minutes of the game; Rakish Bingham posed more of a threat down the left wing and Pools did a bit to test the visiting defence. 

But the full-time whistle arrived and neither side had broken the deadlock and, perhaps fortunately for Pools, there were another 30 minutes to be played for a chance to progress in the competition. 

It took Pools seven minutes of extra time to open the scoring; Scott Fenwick linked up well with Rhys Oates who then sent a well-placed cross into the box which picked out the Pools striker and Fenwick made no mistake with a powerful header past Jay Lynch. 

Shortly after and it could have been 2-0; Scott Fenwick raced Andrew Dawson for a long ball upfield and, while Fenwick won the race, his final shot on goal was well saved by Lynch.

Salford City looked to be tiring by this stage and were relying on long-range efforts from sub Gareth Seddon to try and draw level, while Pools were looking more and more lively.

Fenwick had a couple more chances to double his tally but it was Mikael Mandron who got the second goal, picking up a pass from Brad Walker to volley home in the 120th minute to seal victory - finally - for Pools. 

Full Time: Pools 2 Salford City 0

Booked: Magnay (19), Bates (19)

Attendance: 4374 (352 Salford City)

Pools: Carson, Magnay (Harrison 85), Bates, Jackson, Carroll, Oates, Featherstone, Gray (Walker 66), Smith (Mandron 66), Fenwick, Bingham.
Subs Not Used: Bartlett, Oyenuga, Woods, Richards.

Salford City: J Lynch, C Lynch, O’Halloran, Stopforth, Howson, Dawson, Hardcastle (Mwasile 105), Burton, Webber (Allen 77), Hulme, Poole (Seddon 82).
Subs Not Used: Giverin, Clark, Kebbie, Dootson.

Advertisement block